The acrylic bathtub is a popular solution for those seeking to purchase a bathtub without spending a lot of money. However, this is a fairly new type of bathtub as in the past most bathtubs were made from porcelain, metal or a cast polymer. Those types of bathtubs are usually very heavy, expensive and difficult to install.
This is where bathtub manufacturers went back to the drawing board to create a more cost-effective solution. Hence, the acrylic bathtub was born. As its name suggests, it is made from acrylic which is a high-grade plastic that does not corrode and is very durable and long-lasting.
One of the main advantages of the acrylic bathtub is its fairly lightweight and more affordable price when compared to porcelain or metal bathtubs.
If you are fresh on the market for a quality bathtub, we have you covered. Our acrylic bathtub review below will guide you in the right direction and help you find a great bathtub that will serve you well for years.
What To Check Before Buying Best Acrylic Bathtub?
Before finding the best acrylic bathtub for the money, there are some important factors to take into account. Here are the most important ones:
The capacity of your acrylic bathtub is one of the most important factors to consider. Whenever you use a bathtub, it is important that the water fully immerses your whole body.
This helps in cleaning your body in a more efficient manner. Therefore, capacity is vital and will depend on the size of your own body.
If you are a big person, then it is generally best to go with a bathtub capacity of 60 gallons or more. As a matter of fact, models like the AKDY F296A offer a superior water capacity and can easily immerse a person with ease regardless of body size.
Similar to the capacity above, the size of the bathtub is an important consideration. Obviously, the bathtub must be big enough to fit you.
Most of the time, a bathtub that measures at least 5 feet wide should be big enough to accommodate almost any type of person, big or small.
However, if you are an extra size person that you may want to go with a bathtub that is bigger than 5 feet in width.
Additionally, the length of the bathtub is also important and will depend on your own height. If you are a tall person, it is always best to go with a long bathtub of at least 61 inches.
The weight of the acrylic bathtub will play a significant role especially if you are planning to install the bathtub upstairs. You will need to take into account the water capacity as this will add some weight to the bathtub.
Therefore, we recommend that you ensure that you have solid and firm ground foundations before installing the bathtub.
Luckily, the acrylic bathtub is much lighter when compared to traditional bathtubs like porcelain.
4. Extra Features
Overflow Drain: The overflow drain prevents the bathtub from overflowing. This drain is normally found at the top of the bathtub and made from a material that does not corrode.
Drainage Hole: The bathtub is equipped with a drainage system that will allow you to quickly and easily remove any water from the top in a matter of minutes.
Normally, the bathtub drain is located at the bottom as it uses gravity to help evacuate water. Make sure that your bathtub has a drainage hole that is sufficiently large to empty the tub in a reasonable time.
Adjustable Feet: Since the bathtub is normally designed to be laid perfectly flat on the ground, many top-rated acrylic bathtubs come with adjustable feet that will allow you to easily adjust the height of the bathtub feet so as to level the bathtub to the ground.
If the floor of the bathroom is not perfectly flat, then this is a very important feature to look up for.
5. Easy to Install
By design, the bathtub is incredibly easy to use.
However, it can prove challenging to install especially for those who do not have any experience installing a bathtub before.
Therefore, we recommend that you go with models that come with a detailed manual that will show you exactly how to install the bathtub. Don’t worry, it isn’t very difficult, and almost anyone can do it.
7 Best Acrylic Bathtubs of 2021 Reviewed
1. WoodBridge B-0033 (Aesthetically Pleasing)
2. AKDY F296A (High-capacity)
3. Kingston Brass VTRS592928 (Flexible)
4. Maykke XDA1407001 (Comfortable)
5. Duravit 700095000000090 (Small & Compact)
6. Kingston Brass VTDE603122 (Immerses Any Person with Ease)
7. Kohler K-1229 (Designed for Tall People)
1. WoodBridge B-0033 – Aesthetically Pleasing
- Capacity: 60 gallons
- Dimensions: 67 inches x 31.8 inches x 23 inches
The WoodBridge is an aesthetically pleasing and popular acrylic bathtub that you will find in many residential bathrooms throughout the world. Since this is a freestanding bathtub, you can install it anywhere you want, and it will still look awesome.
For safety and to prevent the risk of water overflowing, which is a common problem, it is equipped with an overflow drain at the top. What this drain does is evacuate any surplus water and prevent water spillage for those who forget to close the tub faucet.
When it comes to installation, you will have no problem with this tub as it is very easy to install. You get all the installation accessories out of the box, and even absolute beginners can install it. We also like the fact that this tub is covered by no less than 5 years warranty from the manufacturer.
All in all, the WoodBridge is a high-quality acrylic bathtub that comes with a serious warranty, easy to install, and will look great wherever you install it in your bathroom.
The only caveats we note with this bathtub is that the drain is a bit small, so it will take time to fully empty. Additionally, the diverter valve will need a washer as it may leak easily.
- Double insulated acrylic wall. Preserves the temperature of the water
- Aesthetically pleasing. It looks great anywhere
- An overflow drain at the top prevents the tub from overflowing
- Covered by a 5-year manufacturer warranty
- The drain is small takes time to empty the bathtub
- Diverter valve in this tub will need a washer to prevent leakages
2. AKDY F296A – Best With High-capacity
- Capacity: 95 gallons
- Dimensions: 66.9 inches x 31.5 inches x 23.2 inches
If there is one department where this AKDY bathtub is a true winner, then it is its capacity. Indeed, this bathtub has a water capacity of 95 gallons which is very impressive as this is the highest capacity bathtub in this review.
With such a high-water capacity, it would be able to fully immerse a person regardless of size. Even better, this bathtub is big enough so as to accommodate a couple. You get all the fittings to install this bathtub with this purchase. However, you do not get any tub filter.
Another impressive area of this bathtub is its looks. This is a modern-looking bathtub that will immediately uplift any bathroom. But this tub doesn’t about look alone as it is incredibly comfortable and spacious as well.
If you like your bathtub to be large and have the space to accommodate it, then we seriously recommend this AKDY model. It is the best acrylic bathtub when it comes to capacity, comfort and looks.
However, there are a few disadvantages. For one, you get only 1-year warranty which is not a lot by bathtub standards. Also, due to the shape and design, you will need a larger installation space.
- Spacious and comfortable. Can easily accommodate 2 people
- High water capacity of 95 gallons. Fully immerses a person in the water
- Easy to install by beginners. You get all the installation fittings
- Aesthetically pleasing. Looks sleek and modern
- The manufacturer offers an only 1-year warranty
- Requires a large installation space
3. Kingston Brass VTRS592928 – Best Flexible Acrylic
- Capacity: 59.52 gallons
- Dimensions: 59.1 inches x 29.1 inches x 27.6 inches
This Kingston acrylic bathtub is a freestanding model that you can install anywhere in your bathroom. One of the good things about this unit is its flexibility. It comes in different sizes, ranging from 59 inches up to 71 inches to suit your purpose and need.
If you need a big bathtub for a big person, you can go with the 71 inches. On the other hand, most people will be satisfied with the 59 inches bathtub.
Moreover, this bathtub is extremely durable as it is made from a 3 to 5 mm thick acrylic. This model will definitely last a long time, if not for a whole lifetime.
All in all, this model from Kingston is excellent, especially for those who are purchasing a bathtub for the first time. It is very easy to install, easy to use and almost need no maintenance at all.
The only caveat we note with this bathtub is that it does not have self-adjusting feet. This means that if there are imperfections in the ground of your bathroom, as in your floor is not level; you will not be able to level this bathtub using its feet. Also, the installation manual is a bit difficult to follow.
- Flexible. Comes in a wide range of sizes to suit your need
- Freestanding model. Can be installed anywhere
- Made from a thick acrylic. Durable and long-lasting
- The installation manual could have been more beginner-friendly
- It does not have self adjusting feet
4. Maykke XDA1407001 – Comfortable
- Capacity: 66 gallons
- Dimensions: 61 inches x 30.7 inches x 21.6 inches
Many people regard Maykke as one of the best acrylic bathtub brands on the market. The reason for this is simple. This model is extremely comfortable. If you are the type of person to relax in your bathtub for an extended period, then this model is an excellent choice.
The Barnet is no different. It is a good-looking acrylic bathtub that can be purchased in 2 colors. A glossy white model and a matte white unit to suit your color preference. This bathtub has a high-water capacity of 66 gallons which means that it will be able to fully immerse any person with ease.
Additionally, the shape of this bathtub is efficient and will provide a comfortable spa-like experience to the user.
As expected for the price, this bathtub has a leveling foot that will allow you to quickly and easily adjust the horizontal level of this bathtub to match the floor. It also comes with an overflow drain to prevent the bathtub from overflowing.
The only real issues we face with this bathtub is that it is not very thick. It definitely lacks the durability of others. Additionally, the floor is not anti-slip, so this model is not recommended for seniors and people with disabilities.
- Very comfortable bathtub
- Available in 2 different colors to suit your bathroom’s color
- Leveling feet for adjustment
- Comes with a full assembly kit for installation
- The bathtub is not very thick
- The floor is not anti-slip. Not safe for people with disabilities or the elderly
5. Duravit 700095000000090 – Small and Compact
- Dimensions: 59 inches x 29.5 inches x 19.2 inches
With its length of 59 inches in width of 29.5 inches, the Duravit D-Code is relatively smaller when compared to other models we have reviewed so far. However, it still has the necessary dimensions to accommodate almost any person with ease. Best of all, it does not require a big installation space to do so.
Furthermore, this model is made from high-grade acrylic material, so it is quite durable and long-lasting.
When compared to a regular porcelain bathtub, the D-Code is significantly lighter weighing only 38.5 lbs. This means that you can install this top-rated acrylic bathtub upstairs and not worry about reinforcing the ground.
Also, in order to protect the user, this bathtub is equipped with an overflow valve that will prevent it from overflowing in case you forget to turn off the tap.
When it comes to the design, it is quite sleek and will provide a lot of comfort to the user regardless of the position you choose to lay inside this bathtub.
The only caveat we see with this bathtub is the quality of the instructions manual. It only includes pictures and no text.
- More affordable when compared to others. Value for money
- Small and compact. Does not require a big installation space
- Made from a high-grade acrylic. Durable and long-lasting
- It has an overflow drain for safety
- The instructions manual could have been better
6. Kingston Brass VTDE603122 – Immerses Any Person with Ease
- Capacity: 64 gallons
- Dimensions: 61 inches x 31.6 inches x 22.8 inches
In terms of water capacity and functionality, this Kingston bathtub is a true beast. It has a square shape that measures 61 inches in length and 31.6 inches wide. This is big enough to immerse any type of person with ease.
Additionally, this bathtub is constructed from a high-grade acrylic that has a 2 – 4 millimeters thickness. It is definitely not the thickest bathtub we have seen in this review, but it is still thick enough to contain its high-water capacity of 64 gallons without cracking.
Further, this is an alcove drop-in bathtub which means that it does not come with 3 sides. Instead, you will have to build an alcove for it. It is definitely not the most user-friendly model when it comes to installation.
However, if you are getting professional help for the installation, then this is definitely one of the best acrylic bathtubs currently on the market.
- Flexible. Available in 2 styles for left-handed or right-handed people
- High water capacity of 64 gallons. Able to immerse any person with ease
- Its rectangular shape does not consume a lot of space
- Not easy to install by beginners
- Alcove model. You will need to build 3 sides to support it
7. Kohler K-1229 – Designed for Tall People
- Capacity: 60 gallons
- Dimensions: 68.9 inches x 39 inches x 23.8 inches
Most bathtubs are usually limited in terms of height which makes them uncomfortable to use by tall people. This is not a problem with the Kohler K-1229. Indeed, this bathtub has an impressive height of 39 inches which will easily accommodate tall people.
Additionally, its long length of 68.9 inches will make it comfortable to relax in a sitting position. You are not limited in terms of dimensions with this Kohler bathtub.
Also, with its water capacity of 60 gallons, this top-rated acrylic bathtub will fully immerse a person as well for a cleaner bath. When it comes to the installation, there is a removable apron at the front of this bathtub that will allow you to connect a pump if necessary.
The only caveat we find with this model is that the price could have been a bit more competitive. But other than that, it is an excellent model to consider especially if you are looking for a 3-wall alcove bathtub for tall people.
- It can easily accommodate a tall person
- High water capacity of 60 gallons
- Removable apron at the front for pump installation
- The price could have been better
In conclusion, all models in our acrylic bathtub review above are highly recommended.
But, models like the AKDY F296A are excellent for those looking for a large and high capacity bathtub. It can fully immerse any type of person with ease and also looks great.
But if you don’t have a lot of space in your bathroom, then this Duravit bathtub is excellent because it is small and compact.
In this post:
- What To Check Before Buying Best Acrylic Bathtub?
- 7 Best Acrylic Bathtubs of 2021 Reviewed
- 1. WoodBridge B-0033 – Aesthetically Pleasing
- 2. AKDY F296A – Best With High-capacity
- 3. Kingston Brass VTRS592928 – Best Flexible Acrylic
- 4. Maykke XDA1407001 – Comfortable
- 5. Duravit 700095000000090 – Small and Compact
- 6. Kingston Brass VTDE603122 – Immerses Any Person with Ease
- 7. Kohler K-1229 – Designed for Tall People