If you or someone in your family suffers from allergies or asthma, it will be crucial to find a way to give them much needed relief or even make the home comfortable.
One of the easiest and most effective ways is to invest in the best air purifier for allergies and asthma.
Asthmatics and people suffering from allergies are highly sensitive to allergens in the environment such as dust mites, pollen, chemicals from paint, and other things like pet hair and odors.
A purifier meant for allergies and asthma uses pre-filters, activated carbon filter, and a HEPA filter to remove these allergens, and hence making the air clean and safe.
In this piece, we look at some of these purifiers to give you recommendations and provide a handy buying guide.
Best Air Purifier for Allergies and Asthma Buying Guide
1. Filters Technology
The filtration technology used on the purifier is the main determinant of how effective it will be at cleaning the air, and should hence be the first element to consider when shopping.
Here you should be looking for something with at least a pre-filter that will remove larger particles in the air like pet hair and dust, HEPA filter which does most of the filtration and an activated carbon filter that takes care of the odors.
However, a model that will include even more advanced filtration technologies like the Hathaspace HSP001, which also include an antimicrobial filter and ionizer does an even better job.
2. Check CADR
CADR stands for clean air delivery rate, and it is an excellent measure of a purifier’s capacity and efficiency. It will usually be indicated in numerical values, and it will show you how many cubic feet the unit is able to clean every minute.
Typically there will be different ratings for different hazards with the main ones being for smoke, dust and pollen. Dust CADR rating are often the largest, while smoke particle rating will be the lowest.
That said, a high CADR rating for pollen and dust will be more beneficial for asthmatics and people with allergies.
A CADR rating of dust 246, pollen 240 and smoke 233 cubic feet like what you get on the Coway AP-1512HH or something around this should be good enough for allergies and asthma.
3. Coverage Area of Air Purifier
Coverage area is vital because the best air purifier for allergy sufferers is one that is effective at cleaning the entire room you will place it.
With that in mind, the right model for you will hence depend on the specific room sizes that you have in your home.
However, you can expect to get a coverage of anywhere from 100 to over 1,000 square feet from these machines, and so you just need to choose the right size for you.
4. Speed Settings
Air purifiers should have various speed settings as air quality differs in different areas and in different seasons.
Some models will come with 3 or more speed settings that you can choose from manually. Others like the Hathaspace HSP001 will have a smart air quality sensor that will detect the air quality automatically and adjust the speed accordingly.
Here you need to choose what you feel will work best for you, and while the smart models that adjust speed automatically will give you an easier time, they tend to be more expensive.
5. Noise Level
You do not want a noisy air purifier that will make too much noise as it will make it hard for you to sleep when you live it running. Hence, you should always check the noise level of a purifier before you buy it.
The good news is that you can get whisper quiet models with a noise rating of 20 dBA or even less. But, any model with a noise rating of under 60 dBA like most on our list should be quiet enough to use in the bedroom when sleeping.
Maintenance is a part of owning an air purifier that you cannot avoid because you will need to not only clean it often but also change filters regularly.
Hence, as you pick one, the best you can do is to make sure it will be easy to maintain.
A model that is easy to take apart for cleaning and also wipes clean easily will give you an easy time when it comes to maintenance.
Also, easy to change filters and a detailed user manual will ensure maintenance is a breeze.
10 Best Air Purifiers for Allergies and Asthma Reviewed
1. Winix 5500-2 (Best Overall)
2. Levoit LV-H132 (Best Budget)
3. Blueair Classic 480i (Best for Large Rooms)
4. Honeywell HPA300 (Best Brand)
5. Hathaspace HSP001 (Best HEPA Filtration)
6. Coway AP-1512HH (Best Efficient)
7. RabbitAir SPA-700A (Ultra quiet)
8. Guardian Technologies AC4300BPTCA (Powerful & Customizable)
9. Fellowes 9286201 (Easy to Set Up/Use)
10. IQAir 250 0P 10 02 (Compact & Highly Portable)
1. Best Overall: Winix 5500-2
- Coverage Area: Up to 360 sq. ft.
- Filters Type: AOC carbon and true HEPA filters
- Filtration stages: 3
Winix 5500-2 also uses the true HEPA filter that will provide up to 99.97% efficiency, which is good enough for any home. Besides this amazing filters, the smart sensors also help make this our best overall product as they will ensure the quality of your air is monitored and controlled automatically.
This air purifier also uses a washable AOC carbon filter, which will help save you money as you will not need to keep buying a new one.
Users will also love that PlasmaWave technology as it will help break down odor, allergens and other contaminants without producing a harmful ozone. And you can easily tell when to change filters as there is a handy filter change indicator.
This air purifier is not the best for removing smells, but it still does an okay job at this. Some wheels would also be nice to make it easier to move a round, but it is still not a deal breaker.
- Highly effective filters
- Washable filter is more cost-effective
- Convenient remote control
- Works without emitting harmful ozone
- Easy to tell when to changes filters
- Not great at removing smell
- Does not have transport wheels
2. Best Budget: Levoit LV-H132
- Coverage Area: Up to 129 sq. ft.
- Filters Type: Pre-filter, true HEPA and activated carbon filters
- Filtration stages: 3
For those shopping on a tighter budget, the more affordable Levoit LV-H132 is a great buy. But, besides being more affordable, it is still an efficient 3-stage unit with a true HEPA filter and activated carbon filter to ensure it also gets rid of the unwanted odors.
Another element that makes this one of the best air filters for asthma and allergies is that it offers a quieter operation with a 25 dBA noise rating to ensure it will not disturb you when sleeping. And it also has an optional night light with 2 settings to help soothe you when sleeping.
This unit notifies you when it is time to change the filters, and with its more compact design, it will take up almost insignificant space in your bedroom or living room.
The buttons on this purifier are a little too sensitive, which can be annoying in case you bump into it accidentally, but this is a not a very significant drawback, and hence not a big concern.
- Relatively more affordable
- Quieter operation
- Optional night light included
- Notifies you when to change filters
- More compact design
- Buttons are a little too sensitive
3. Best for Large Rooms: Blueair Classic 480i
- Coverage Area: Up to 775 sq. ft.
- Filters Type: Activated carbon and HEPA filters
- Filtration stages: 3
Blueair Classic 480i is a high capacity air purifier that will cover up to 775 square feet, which is the widest coverage on our list. Also, it has dual protection filters that will remove gaseous pollutants and smoke from your air without using any chemicals.
There are automatic air quality sensors that will monitor the quality of air in the room in real time and adjust the fan speed accordingly to ensure good air quality is maintained throughout.
This air purifier is also WiFi enabled, ensuring you can control the unit wirelessly through Alexa and using the company’s app.
This unit is the priciest of our air purifiers for allergies and asthma review, but the higher price tag is due to the huge coverage and premium quality build.
- Covers a wider area
- Efficient activated carbon filters
- Monitors air quality in real time
- Allows for wireless control
- Quite expensive
4. Best Brand: Honeywell HPA300
- Coverage Area: Up to 465 sq. ft.
- Filters Type: Pre-filter and true HEPA filter
- Filtration stages: 2
Buying from a top brand like Honeywell that is known globally for their high product standard guarantees that you always end up with top tier products. Their HPA300 is an example of their superior quality, and it will make a great buy for anyone looking for a top brand product.
This air filter provides up to 5 air exchanges per hour for rooms up to 465 square feet, which means you will be sure of getting clean air throughout.
To make controlling the machine easier, it has some simple touch control and also includes an automatic shut off timer to ensure you will never have to worry about forgetting to switch it off.
With the filter check reminders, you can easily tell when you need to replace your filters. And you will also never have to worry about bright control panel lights as they are easily dimmable.
The only gripe many users might have with this product is the cost of replacing the filters as they are quite expensive. But, the good news is that they are high-quality and more durable.
- Well-built and efficient purifier from a leading brand
- More air changes per hour
- Simple touch controls
- Filter replacement reminders
- Auto shut off timer included
- Pricey replacement filters
5. Best with HEPA Filtration: Hathaspace HSP001
- Coverage Area: Up to 350 sq. ft.
- Filters Type: Antibacterial, cellular activated carbon, cold catalyst and true HEPA filters
- Filtration stages: 5
There are many things that will make the Hathaspace HSP001 amazing, but what makes it our best HEPA air purifier for allergies is that it has a highly efficient 5-in-1 HEPA filtration system that will not miss anything.
Besides cleaning your air by removing contaminants, this air purifier also removes unwanted odors to ensure there is nothing in the air that can trigger your allergies.
With the 20 dBA rated sleep mode, you can be sure that this machine will never disturb you when sleeping as it will be whisper quiet.
This air filter has smart air quality sensors that measure the air quality and adjusts the fan automatically in real-time to ensure you always get the best air quality at all times. And you can also easily operate the filter using the remote control.
There are a few minor drawbacks with this purifier such as the cord being relatively shorter and the buttons on the remote being disorganized. But, an extension should fix the shorter cord issue, and getting used to the remote is all it takes to master the placement of each button.
- Cleans air and eliminates odor
- Includes a whisper quiet sleep mode
- Senses the air quality automatically
- Easy remote control operation
- Relatively shorter cord
- Remote buttons are not well organized
6. Best Efficient: Coway AP-1512HH
- Coverage Area: Up to 361 sq. ft.
- Filters Type: Pre-filter, activated carbon and true HEPA filters
- Filtration stages: 4
Coway AP-1512HH uses the highly efficient true HEPA filter with and efficiency rating of 99.97%. This filter combines with an activated carbon filter and are effective pre-filter to deliver the cleanest air for asthmatics.
This air purifier also has a higher CADR rating as it is rated 246 cubic feet for dust, 240 cubic feet for pollen and 233 cubic feet for smoke. What this means is that it will be highly effective at removing high amounts of these common asthma and allergy triggers.
With the automatic air quality sensor, you can easily tell the quality of air in the room. And you can easily fine-tune this machine to fit your specific situation as it has an up to 8 hours timer. When it comes to filter changes, the built in timer will also ensure you know exactly when you need to make a replacement.
At the higher levels, this machine seems to be fairly loud, but the maximum noise level is just 53.8 dB, and this means it is still not high enough to disturb your sleep.
- Relatively higher delivery
- Uses highly efficient filters
- Easy to tell the air quality
- Handy automatic timer feature
- Included filter replacement indicator
- Fairly loud
7. Ultra Quiet: RabbitAir SPA-700A
- Coverage Area: Up to 700 sq. ft.
- Filters Type: Pre-filter, medium, BIOGS HEPA, customized and activated carbon filter
- Filtration stages: 6
With a noise rating of 20.8 to 45.6 dBA, the RabbitAir SPA-700A is a whisper-quiet purifier even at the highest setting, and you will hardly even hear it running.
Besides the quiet operation, this is a 6-stage filtration system, which means it has more stages of air filtration than all others on our air filters for allergies and asthma reviews. Hence, you can be certain of getting the best air quality as it will not miss any contaminant.
This machine is also quite flexible as you can use it as either a standalone unit or a mount it on a wall. And to make it even more flexible, it will include a customized odor removal filter. This unit also covers up to 700 square feet, which is also one of the widest coverage on our list.
This RabbitAir air purifier is the second priciest item on our list, but given the quality and overall filtration efficiency, you can be sure you will get what you pay for.
- Super quiet operation
- More filtration stages
- Flexible use design
- Customizable odor removal filter
- Covers a wider space
- A little expensive
8. Powerful & Customizable: Guardian Technologies AC4300BPTCA
Photo: Guardian Technologies
- Coverage Area: Up to 153 sq. ft.
- Filters Type: Pre-filter, carbon and HEPA filters
- Filtration stages: 3
The powerful 5-in-1 system that characterizes the Guardian Technologies AC4300BPTCA will ensure that you not only remove all kinds of air contaminants but are also left with a good smelling air.
You can easily customize this unit to suit your needs as besides the 3 speed options, this machine also has an optional UV C light for killing germs.
There is a sleep mode that will greatly reduce noise levels greatly and ensure the machine produces a more soothing sound that will help you sleep better. You can easily tell when you need to change the filter as there is a filter change indicator.
At levels 3 and 4n which are the highest on this machine, there seems to be some annoying noise, but once you get used to the sound you will hardly even notice it.
- Highly effective and powerful
- Can be easily customized
- Easy to tell when to change filters
- Soothing sleep mode
- Annoying sound at the high settings
9. Easy to Set Up/Use: Fellowes 9286201
- Coverage Area: Up to 600 sq. ft.
- Filters Type: Carbon and true HEPA filters
- Filtration stages: 4
You will never have to struggle setting up this Fellowes purifiers as it is quite straightforward to set up and use given there is very little that you will need to do.
This unit has some sensors that will sense the air quality automatically and then make the fan speed adjustment to ensure optimal air quality.
With the PlasmaTrue technology, you can be confident that there will be no airborne pollutants in the air as this machine will create an ionized field in the room. Changing filters will also be easier, and you also get alerts on when you need to change the filters.
The control panel on this purifier is not dimmable, but the light is still not very bright, and will hence not affect your sleep. Also, despite feeling thinner, the plastic housing is still quite tough and durable.
- Straightforward setup/use
- Senses air quality automatically
- Alerts you when you need to change filters
- Helps remove airborne pollutants
- Control panel is not dimmable
- Thinner gauge plastic housing
10. Compact & Highly Portable: IQAir 250 0P 10 02
- Coverage Area: Up to 150 sq. ft.
- Filters Type: HyperHEPA filter
- Filtration stages: 1
Anyone looking for an air purifier that they can easily carry around and use in different locations, the IQAir 250 0P 10 02 is a perfect choice. This unit is only 11.5 inches wide and weighs just 8.53 pounds.
This model is also quite versatile as it will work well for different spaces from smaller rooms to cars and even for use in the plane.
Besides portability, this is also an efficient model that uses HyperHEPA filter that will filter down to 0.003 microns to ensure you will get the purest air. Also, the clean air will be circulated super-fast thanks to the PureJet diffuser.
The 150 square feet coverage is the smallest on our list, but for this small and compact unit, it should still be okay given the intended uses.
- Smaller and easier to carry around
- Works well for different spaces
- More effective filtration technology
- Delivers clean air fast
- Smaller coverage
Air purifier are vital for allergies and asthmas as they will ensure you always get clean air that will not trigger these conditions. And if you are looking for the best air filters for allergies and asthma, there is a model for you on our list.
The Winix 5500-2 is our best overall model thanks to the efficient 99.97% HEPA filter and PlasmaWave technology that will ensure it delivers the purest air.
But, if you prefer a budget-friendly and compact model, the Levoit LV-H132 will be our recommendation, and it also offers a super-quiet operation and optional nightlight.
In this post:
- Best Air Purifier for Allergies and Asthma Buying Guide
- 10 Best Air Purifiers for Allergies and Asthma Reviewed
- 1. Best Overall: Winix 5500-2
- 2. Best Budget: Levoit LV-H132
- 3. Best for Large Rooms: Blueair Classic 480i
- 4. Best Brand: Honeywell HPA300
- 5. Best with HEPA Filtration: Hathaspace HSP001
- 6. Best Efficient: Coway AP-1512HH
- 7. Ultra Quiet: RabbitAir SPA-700A
- 8. Powerful & Customizable: Guardian Technologies AC4300BPTCA
- 9. Easy to Set Up/Use: Fellowes 9286201
- 10. Compact & Highly Portable: IQAir 250 0P 10 02