In order to ensure good health of the flock, it is important to feed them sanitized and debris-free water. Therefore, the need for the best chicken waterer is dire. It should be the one that comes in a suitable capacity to serve the entire flock.
Also, while selecting the right model, you need to make sure what material it is made of. There are various features that contributes in making the finest model that you can purchase.
In this review, we will talk about the best waterers and the buying guide to help you with the purchase. Let’s take a look at the models below:
What to Check Before Buying Best Chicken Waterer?
A chicken waterer is a delicate purchase. You see, these waterers are usually kept in the open where the flock stays. Therefore, the presence of debris and dirt is undeniable.
However, to ensure that the chickens are consuming good water, you need to pay attention to the kind of chicken waterer you are buying.
There are many models that claims to be the best poultry watering systems however, they lack in many important aspects.
We have curated this chicken waterer review so that you can know the right features to check while purchasing. It is important to follow a track so that you don’t end up wasting your money on a waste product.
Well, here are some of the crucial features of a chicken waterer to have in mind:
1. Size of your Poultry
One of the most important features to consider is the size of the brood. Since you are installing a chicken waterer, you should ensure that chickens are able to have seamless access to the water. For this, you also need to focus on the number of chickens in the flock.
This thing will largely impact the size of the waterer itself and the capacity. It is a simple math that if the flock size is bigger than the size of the waterer should also be large. Also, it needs to have drown-proof base, so that chicken don’t drip over the base while drinking water.
2. Capacity and Dimensions
The capacity of a chicken waterer is available in gallons. You can find the capacity starting from as little as 2 gallons, and it can go up to 7 to 8 gallons. You are required to pick the capacity considering the size of the poultry.
Another thing to keep in close consideration is the dimensions of the waterer. You will have to see if the product will be able to fit inside the coop or not. Therefore, you are required to measure the coop as well as the door from where you are going to insert the waterer.
You need to focus on another thing that the waterer should not be big enough for the coop that it will start to suffocate the birds or make them uneasy.
The best chicken water container is made of a highly promising material. You should know that there are different materials available in these products.
However, the most common ones are plastic and galvanized steel. While both the materials are suitable, but you should not use steel material if you are planning to leave the waterer in direct sunlight. The material will get extremely heated, resulting in heating the water as well.
Plastic on the other hand will keep the water neutralized. At the same time, the durability of plastic material is limited whereas steel ones can stay around for a long time.
As far as the design is concerned, you can easily find the best automatic chicken waterers that are the modern chicken waterers. Also, you can find the traditional waterers.
The modern ones automatically pump water in the smaller lips using vacuum pressure. This is where the chickens can drink the water.
The traditional ones on the other hand have to be filled manually. These are open bowl waterers however; these can get dirty really soon.
5. Easy to Clean
Surely, you don’t need a design that is complex and difficult to clean. Since you are to maintain the waterers and keep the water as uncontaminated as you can, it is important to select a model that is easy to clean.
10 Best Chicken Waterers of 2021 Reviewed
1. RentACoop Chicken Waterer (With No Roost Cap)
2. RentACoop 5-Gal Chicken Waterer (Best Large)
3. Miller 740 (Lowly Priced)
4. RentACoop Automatic Chicken Waterer (Pack of 2)
5. Miller 9826 (Cheapest)
6. Little Giant 2500 (Automatic)
7. Harris Farm 1000310 (Standard Product)
8. Harris Farm 1000261 (High Capacity)
9. Harris Farm 1000266 (With Top-fill Bucket)
10. Harris Farm 1000263 (Very Durable)
1. RentACoop Chicken Waterer – Best with No Roost Cap
- Capacity: 2 gallons
- Dimension: 8.9 x 8.9 x 9 inches
- Weight: 1.6 pounds
It is a common problem with chickens that they start to roost on the waterer. Well, the no-roost cap on the waterer will prevent this thing completely.
This one is available in the capacity of 2 gallons and the material used in the construction is BPA-free plastic. Well, this is not as durable as the steel waterers, but it can still stay with you for a decent period of time.
This comes as a complete system, and you will not have to do any assembling. The horizontal nipples are highly functional and they prevent the ground from wetting.
The refilling the coop is very simple as you simply have to remove the cap from the top and refill the water. This one will serve 4 or more hens for almost 5 days at a stretch. The cost of this model is definitely a hurdle in spontaneous purchase.
- Has a no-roost cap to prevent roosting
- Comes with horizontal nipples
- Comes as a complete system
- Refilling the waterer is pretty simple
- Made of plastic material, not as durable as steel counterparts
- The cost is a bit on the higher side
2. RentACoop 5-Gal Chicken Waterer – Best Large
- Capacity: 5 gallons
- Weight: 2.8 pounds
If you have a large poultry and looking for the best large chicken waterer then this is a suitable choice to make. This one is available in 5 gallons capacity, and it can serve up to 30 chicken as a time.
The model comes completely assembled, and it is constructed with 100% food grade plastic material. The refilling is also pretty convenient with this product.
This one has got horizontal nipples that will prevent the ground from wetting. The chicken will not be able to roost the waterer as this product comes with a no-roost cap. You will find the lip of the waterer completely spotless whenever you go for a water change.
This one is extremely priced. Plus, it lacks in warranty.
- Available in high capacity of 5 gallons
- Comes with no-roost cap
- Refilling is very simple
- Horizontal nipples to prevent ground wet
- Very expensive product
- Does not come with any warranty
3. Miller 740 – Lowly Priced
- Dimension: 6 x 6 x 1 inches
- Weight: 0.15 pounds
If you want something really inexpensive for the flock then this model from Miller is a great choice. This is made of plastic material and is compatible with Miller 690 jar.
It is a small model and is suitable for not more than 2 – 3 chicken for single water treat. You can fill the jar and attach it to the waterer and monitor the level of water inside the jar as it is transparent. The jar is molded from polyethylene material.
Also, this is a lightweight product and small that you can easily put inside the coop. Unfortunately, it cannot keep the water inside the waterer in a very sanitized stage because it is an open head waterer.
Also, the plastic is not BPA-free so unless you don’t mind serving water in BPA-free plastic waterer, you are good to go with this product.
- Economically priced waterer
- Lightweight product
- Easy to use
- Small in size so you can easily put inside the coop
- The plastic is not BPA-free
- The water inside the waterer cannot stay in the most sanitized form
4. RentACoop Automatic Chicken Waterer – Best in Pack of 2
- Dimension: 8 x 8 x 4 inches
- Weight: 0.15 pounds
So, from RentACoop, this is an affordable model, available in a pack of 2. This one is an automatic chicken waterer that is always half full.
It is suitable for the hot summer days when the temperature goes up to 80 degrees and chicken tends to consume more water. You will not have to fill the cup again and again.
It is made of plastic material. However, since this is an open waterer, you cannot prevent roosting. Also, there is no cap on the top to prevent dirt and debris from entering the bowl.
On the bright side, this one is small, so you can conveniently place it near the chickens so that they can have quick access to the water.
- Available in a pack of 2
- Available on a decent price
- Great for very hot days
- Automatic filling of water
- You cannot prevent roosting
- The dirt and debris will enter the water
5. Miller 9826 – Best Cheapest
- Capacity: 0.25 gallons
- Dimension: 5.5 x 1.1 x 5.5 inches
- Weight: 0.05 pounds
This model from Millers is the cheapest chicken waterer on our list. It is constructed with highly durable galvanized steel and is compatible with 0.25 gallons water jar.
This lightweight product is very durable as the material will help in watering the chickens for many years to come. It is suitable for all kinds of birds in the poultry.
This is a simple model with no fancy features. However, you might be a little disappointed with the meagre quantity of the waterer.
Also, this one is not ideal for extremely heated temperatures because the waterer will become hot and so as the water. The water will not be consumable by the birds or chicken with such high temperature outside.
- Available on the most affordable price
- Very durable material
- Simple product, easy to use
- Very easy to refill as well
- Not suitable for extremely high temperature
- The capacity is too low
6. Little Giant 2500 – Best Automatic
- Capacity: 0.25 gallons
- Dimension: 6.5 x 5.5 x 5 inches
- Weight: 0.55 pounds
This is an automatic chicken waterer and a lightweight product from the Little Giant. It is among the best water containers for chicken as it attaches to any standard half-inch NPT pipe to supply water to the container.
This way, you can provide limitless supply of water to the birds and chicken. The bowl can hold up to 0.25 gallons of water at one time. It is 2.5 inches deep.
It is available in a stunning red color and made of high-quality plastic material to serve the birds and chicken fresh water in the hot summer days as well.
Since this one is open mouth, you cannot prevent debris and dirt from getting inside the water. Also, it is a little overpriced for a small and standard product like this.
- Automatic waterer provide limitless water supply
- Very lightweight product
- Made of high-quality material
- Suitable for hot summer days
- Cannot prevent debris from getting into the water
- Little overpriced as compared to its peers
7. Harris Farm 1000310 – Best Standard
- Capacity: 4 gallons
- Dimension: 8.8 x 14.2 x 12.7 inches
- Weight: 2.17 pounds
For someone who needs a standard product that is easy to use and refill then this is a great choice to make. It is available in 4 gallons capacity and suitable enough to cater to a large flock size.
It is constructed with BPA-free plastic material and has a hinged lid for easy access refilling. Furthermore, it is capable of supplying fresh water to the chicken. Not only that, but it also comes with additional cups so that the flock can drink water without any hassle.
The lid on the top will help in preventing the growth of algae. You may not like the fact that this product is pretty expensive. Also, there is no warranty to safeguard your purchase.
- Standard product constructed with BPA-free plastic
- 4 gallons capacity
- Comes with additional cups
- Easy to refill the water
- No warranty to safeguard the purchase
- This one is pretty expensive
8. Harris Farm 1000261 – Best High in Capacity
- Capacity: 5 gallons
- Dimension: 10.9 x 9.7 x 10.9 inches
- Weight: 1 pounds
So, this model from Harris Farm is high in capacity and is available in 5 gallons size. Surely, it is suited for a large farm with a number of chickens.
This model is easy to clean and refill. It comes with a twist lock system. As far as the design is concerned, the large water tank is on the above and there are smaller openings for the water to draw out for the chickens to drink.
You will have to purchase the base separately. It can accommodate up to 32 chickens at a time. Unfortunately, the plastic used in the making is not BPA-free.
- Available in high capacity
- Amazing design of the waterer
- Easy to clean and refill
- Can serve to 32 chickens at a time
- Base has to be purchased separately
- Plastic is not BPA-free
9. Harris Farm 1000266 – Best with Top-fill Bucket
- Capacity: 3.5 gallons
- Dimension: 14.2 x 15 x 12.2 inches
- Weight: 3.45 pounds
The best thing about this chicken waterer is that it has a top-fill bucket which makes refilling the water very convenient. The size and the features of this product makes it one of the best poultry watering systems on the market.
This model is suitable for indoor as well as outdoor usage. It is easy to clean and maintain since it is constructed with BPA-free plastic material. It can serve 52 chickens at a time.
This is a great model; however, you will have to purchase the base separately. The cost of this product is on the higher side. Also, it is quite heavyweight as the weight is 3.45 pounds.
- Comes with a top-fill bucket
- Easy to clean
- Available in 3.5 gallons capacity
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor usage
- Very expensive
- Heavyweight chicken waterer
10. Harris Farm 1000263 – Best Durable
- Capacity: 2 gallons
- Dimension: 12.5 x 12.5 x 12 inches
- Weight: 3.6 pounds
This is one of the most durable products on the market as it is constructed with galvanized steel material. It uses a vacuum process to continuously release the water for the chickens.
The 2 gallons high-capacity product can release water for a large flock. This is a suitable product that keeps water protected from debris and dirt.
Certainly, this model is not suitable for high-temperature regions. Also, it is the most heavyweight product on the list that weighs 3.6 pounds in total.
- Made of durable material
- 2 gallons capacity
- Uses vacuum process for releasing water
- Protect water from dirt and debris
- Not suitable for high temperature regions
- Very heavyweight product
On concluding this chicken waterer review, all we want to say is that keeping chicken in the healthiest state is crucial. Since they are left in open, you cannot completely prevent them on intaking dirt and debris.
However, you can ensure sanitized water consumption through the best chicken waterer. All the products that we have recommended above are suitable for purchase. These are different in designs and does their job effectively.
In this post:
- What to Check Before Buying Best Chicken Waterer?
- 10 Best Chicken Waterers of 2021 Reviewed
- 1. RentACoop Chicken Waterer – Best with No Roost Cap
- 2. RentACoop 5-Gal Chicken Waterer – Best Large
- 3. Miller 740 – Lowly Priced
- 4. RentACoop Automatic Chicken Waterer – Best in Pack of 2
- 5. Miller 9826 – Best Cheapest
- 6. Little Giant 2500 – Best Automatic
- 7. Harris Farm 1000310 – Best Standard
- 8. Harris Farm 1000261 – Best High in Capacity
- 9. Harris Farm 1000266 – Best with Top-fill Bucket
- 10. Harris Farm 1000263 – Best Durable