The floor drill press is a tall fixed drill machine that you install on your workshop floor. This drilling tool is much more powerful than a handheld drilling machine and more accurate as well.
This device is equipped with a large work table to support your material. And by simply pulling on a feed lever, you can make accurate drills in any type of material fast and easily.
In fact, there are multiple benefits that you will enjoy with the floor drill press.
Benefits of the Floor Drill Press
- Accuracy: Since you will be drilling from a fixed position, your drilling will be very accurate. Moreover, most top-rated floor drill presses usually come with a laser guide that will further help you make incredibly accurate drill holes.
- Performance: Since it has a larger motor, it can drill in almost any type of material without stalling.
- Versatility: Changing the speed of the drill bit is very easy and can be done in a few seconds. This will allow the floor drill press to become more versatile and drill in different materials that require different speeds.
- Ease of use: The floor drill press is one of the easiest drilling machines on the market. No experience is necessary.
- Comfortable: You can make hundreds of holes using this device without feeling hand fatigue.
- Dependable: It has a rugged build construction that makes it durable, dependable, and long-lasting.
What to Check Before Buying Best Floor Drill Press?
Before purchasing the floor drill press, you must first identify your purpose. Not all floor drill presses are the same, and they come in a wide range of powers and speeds.
By knowing your purpose, you will know the size, power, and various other specs that it needs to have to match your drilling tasks.
Remember, the more powerful and feature-rich the floor drill press is, the more expensive it will also be.
One of the things that the floor drill press is reputed for is power. It is more powerful than a handheld drill, mostly because the floor drill press is equipped with a larger motor.
If you’re looking for a powerful floor drill press that will be able to drill through anything, go with a model with at least 1 HP or 13 A.
With that type of power, the floor drill press will not stall and deliver a clean drill hole.
On the other hand, for casual use, you can safely go with a floor drill press equipped with a motor of 1/2 HP or 6 A. This type of power should suffice for any drilling DIY projects you have at home.
Most professionals vouch for the floor drill press because of its variable speed control. Indeed, by simply changing the position of the belt on the pulley, you get a whole different speed.
This versatility in terms of speed allows the floor drill press to drill in a wide range of materials, from wood to thick metal with great ease.
When looking for a floor drill press to purchase, make sure that your chosen model comes the ability to change the speed.
If you normally work with large Forstner bits to drill wood, then it is best to go with a model that offers a low minimum speed of 200 RPM or less.
For those using mostly thin drill bits, go with a model that has a maximum speed of at least 3,000 RPM. You will get a cleaner drill hole at higher speeds.
4. Depth Stop
The depth stop allows you to control the depth at which the drill bit can penetrate the material. Sometimes, you do not want the drill bit to fully pierce the material.
Most modern-day floor drill presses have a locking collar. This collar will allow you to adjust the depth stop so that it will automatically lock the drill bit to a certain depth.
For repetitive drilling, you will find that the depth stop is a very important and useful feature.
5. Extra Features
- Large Tabletop: The floor drill press comes with a tabletop on which you lay your material for drilling. Your tabletop size should appropriately match the size of the material that you plan to use with the drill press.
- Fence System: In order to get more accurate drilling, choose a model that is equipped with a fence system. The fence should be easy to move in any direction and easy to lock in position as well.
- Base Mount: You should ensure that the floor drill press comes with a base mount. This base mount will allow you to fix the device to the floor for stability when drilling.
- Laser Guide: A model equipped with a laser system lets you make more accurate drills.
- Work Light: If you are planning to use your floor drill press in lowlight conditions, then you should choose a model that is equipped with an LED work light.
The floor drill press is not the most affordable type of drill that you can purchase. However, it is an investment well worth it, especially if you need a powerful drill that is extremely accurate.
When purchasing a floor drill press, we recommend that you make a budget and, as far as possible, try to stick to it. Prices can quickly get out of hand when purchasing this drilling tool.
6 Best Floor Drill Presses of 2021 Reviewed
1. Jet 351470 (Best Overall)
2. Klutch 13 inch (Excellent Price to Performance Ratio)
3. Shop Fox W1680 (High-performing & Heavy-duty)
4. Jet J2500 (Powerful & Versatile Speeds)
5. Shop Fox W1848 (Easy to Use by Beginners)
6. Wen 4227 (Powerful & Quiet Motor)
1. Jet 351470 – Best Overall Floor Drill Press
- Power: 1.5 HP
- Speed: 150 – 4,200 RPM
- Chuck size: 3/4 inches
- Weight: 288 lbs
When it comes to performance, speed, and versatility, the Jet 351470 is one of the best floor drill press on the market.
Under the hood, we find a powerful 1.5 HP motor. This motor will deliver enough power to the drill bit so that it can drill in anything without stalling. It will never underperform regardless of the type of material that you drill.
Also, this unit has one of the most versatile speeds in this review, with a speed range of 150 to 4,200 RPM.
Its minimum speed of 150 RPM will allow you to use large drill bits like Forstner bits to create a smooth drill hole. The maximum speed of 4,200 RPM is the highest that you will find. This model simply has no competition in terms of the speed range.
It is also very convenient and easy to use. The cast iron table is large, measuring 18-5/8 inches x 16-1/8 inches. You can safely and comfortably use large pieces of materials on it.
Furthermore, the table is easy to title in a 45 degrees position. This will prove practical when making drill holes at an angle.
Also, it has a convenient work light that will allow you to use it safely in lowlight conditions. Not to mention that it comes with a rock-solid 2-year warranty by the manufacturer.
If you’re looking for a powerful and professional-grade floor drill press, then you should seriously consider this model.
The only caveats we find with it is its steep price and heavyweight of 288 lbs. You may need help when installing this drill press.
But other than this, the Jet 351470 remains one of the best models that you will find in this floor drill press review.
- Very powerful with a 1.5 HP motor
- Versatile speed range of 150 – 4,200 RPM
- Large tiltable work table
- 2-year manufacturer warranty
- The price. It is expensive
- Heavy at 288 lbs
2. Klutch 13 inch – Excellent Price to Performance Ratio
- Power: 3/4 HP
- Speed: 260 – 3,410 RPM
- Chuck size: 5/8 inches
- Weight: 124 lbs
This floor drill press by Klutch has an excellent price to performance ratio. Indeed, with a power of 3/4 HP, this model will have no problem drilling in any type of material without stalling. And you will be able to do so at a great price!
But one of the things that we like the most about this floor drill press is its speed control. This model is equipped with an impressive 16 speeds that allow the drill bit to rotate anywhere from 260 RPM to 3,410 RPM.
With this kind of speed versatility, you can use it for both home and professional use as it will deliver a clean drill hole in anything.
In addition, there is an easy-to-use depth lock system, so you can adjust the distance that the drill bit needs to penetrate the material. We appreciate the fact that it has a large swing distance of 13 inches. This will allow it to drill very thick materials with ease.
Furthermore, the base of this floor drill press is large and adds a lot of stability to the device.
If you’re looking for a high-performing floor drill press at a great price, then this Klutch model is one of the best floor drill press for the money.
The only problem we have with it is that the power switch is a bit loose and fragile. Additionally, the work table has a diameter of only 11-3/8 inches, which is a bit on the small side.
- Superior price to performance ratio
- Easy to use a depth lock system
- Large swing of 13 inches
- Easy to install on a tabletop using the mounting holes
- A small worktable of 11-3/8 inches
- The power button is loose and fragile
3. Shop Fox W1680 – High-performing and Heavy-duty
- Power: 1 HP
- Speed: 140 – 3,050 RPM
- Chuck size: 5/8 inches
- Weight: 179 lbs
The Shop Fox W1680 is a high-performing floor drill press equipped with a powerful 1 HP motor. This motor will allow this drill press to deliver a clean drill regardless of the material density. It can be used as a heavy-duty floor drill press in a professional workshop.
Moreover, the minimum speed of 140 RPM makes it very practical when using a large drill bit like a woodworking Forstner bit. This model is equipped with 12 speeds, so it is quite versatile, as well.
Furthermore, it can reach a maximum speed of 3,050 RPM, which is not the highest we have seen but still more than enough for most drilling purposes.
We also like the fact that it comes with a large round work table made from metal. The work table measures 14 inches and can be fully adjusted anywhere from 0 to 90 degrees. You can quickly lock it in position in a matter of seconds.
But what makes this model one of the best floor drill press on the market is its large spindle travel of 3-1/4 inches. Clearly, you can use it to drill very thick materials with great ease as most commercially available materials are usually 2 inches or fewer in thickness.
The only issue we see is that the locking system for the chuck key works only horizontally. You will also find the chuck guard to get in the way of your drilling, especially when using thick materials.
- High performing with a motor of 1 HP
- The worktable is large with a diameter of 14 inches
- Large spindle travel of 3-1/4 inches
- Chuck is difficult to lock
- The chuck guard can easily get in the way of your drilling
4. Rockwell ShopSeries RK7033 – Lightweight and Portable
- Power: 6.2 A
- Speed: 620 – 3,100 RPM
- Chuck size: 1/2 inches
- Weight: 48.2 lbs
The floor drill press does not necessarily need to be portable. However, if you frequently carry your drill press to the worksite, then consider the Rockwell ShopSeries RK703. It is lightweight at 48.2 lbs and highly portable.
And despite its low weight, this model still has an excellent metal build construction. It is durable and long-lasting. The chuck size of ½ inches is an industry standard, and it will be able to accommodate larger drill bits with ease.
Furthermore, you can adjust the speed anywhere from 620 RPM to 3,100 RPM by simply changing the belt position on the pulleys. The variable speeds are clearly marked once you open the cover at the top.
You will appreciate the fact that this drill press comes with a cast-iron work table. It is easy to tilt this work table 45 degrees left or right, depending on your needs.
Clearly, if you need a portable model, then this unit is the best floor standing drill press for your need. It is powerful enough to drill on any type of material with ease.
The only caveats with this model are that its minimum speed of 620 RPM does not make it a good match for a very large drill bit. It is also a bit difficult to lock the worktable in position.
- Lightweight at 48.2 lbs. Fully portable
- Versatile variable speed control
- The durable and long-lasting metal build construction
- Large chuck size of 1/2 inches. It can accommodate large drill bits
- High minimum speed of 620 RPM
- Difficult to lock the work table
5. Jet J2500 – Powerful and Versatile Speeds
- Power: 3/4 HP
- Speed: 200 – 3,630 RPM
- Chuck size: 5/8 inches
- Weight: 167 lbs
The Jet J2500 is a floor drill press that can be used both at home and in a professional workshop. This model is powerful, equipped with a 3/4 HP motor that will not stall. It also has a very versatile speed of 200 RPM to 3,630 RPM.
Those speeds allow this floor drill press to drill in a wide range of materials, regardless of material density.
Furthermore, Jet J2500 is a quality model that is made in Taiwan. It will last a long time, even when used as a heavy-duty floor drill press in a professional setting.
The work table is large and made from cast iron. You can easily tilt it in both directions to make angular drills. This model accepts standard 5/8 inches drill bits, and it has a transparent chuck guard.
What we like about this top-rated floor drill press is that the spindle distance is 24 inches with a stroke distance of 3-1/8-inches. This means that you can easily drill through very thick materials.
The only issues we have with this product are its high price. In addition, the base is not very large and needs solid fixing to the floor to prevent instability issues.
- Powerful with a motor of 3/4 HP
- Suitable for both home and professional use
- Quality model. Durable and long-lasting
- It can drill thick materials easily
- The price. It is expensive
- The base is not very large
6. Shop Fox W1848 – Easy to Use by Beginners
- Power: 3/4 HP
- Speed: 250 – 3,050 RPM
- Chuck size: 5/8 inches
- Weight: 122 lbs
The Shop Fox W1848 has been built from the ground up to be very easy to use by absolute beginners. If you do not have any experience operating a floor drill press, then this model is an excellent choice.
Adjusting the speed is quite easy, and there are 12 speeds on this floor drill press. All you must do is change the belts on the pulley system.
In addition, you can quickly and easily change this drill press into a sanding press as it has a special pulley that allows it to function in this way. Just open the top cover, and you will see a detailed instructions manual on how to do it.
The 12-3/8 inches round work table is made from cast iron and can easily be tilted if you need to drill at any angle. Of course, you can lock the table in any position you want.
Sure, this is not the biggest worktable we have seen in this review, but for casual drilling purposes, it is more than enough.
All in all, the Shop Fox W1848 is one of the best floor drill presses for money when it comes to ease-of-use.
The only caveat is that it lacks a little accuracy when compared to competing models. Also, the worktable could have been a bit bigger.
- Easy to use by absolute beginners
- It can quickly be converted into a sanding press
- Changing the speed is easy
- Lacks accuracy when compared to other models
- Not the biggest worktable
7. Wen 4227 – Powerful and Quiet Motor
- Power: 13 A
- Speed: 180 – 2,940 RPM
- Chuck size: 5/8 inches
- Weight: 214 lbs
The Wen 4227 is a popular floor drill press that is equipped with a powerful and quiet motor rated at 13 A. This drill press can be used for both home and professional use because it has enough capacity to drill a wide range of materials with ease.
Furthermore, it is equipped with a large work table that measures 14 inches in width and 14 inches in length. It can comfortably accommodate any standard size materials like 4 x 4 planks for drilling purposes.
This model is equipped with 12 speeds that range from 180 RPM to 2,940 RPM. You can quickly and easily change the speeds by changing the position of the belt on the pulleys. Simply lift the top cover to do so. Pretty easy!
Moreover, this model is equipped with a bright work light that will clearly illuminate your workspace. And finally, the cast iron base is large and provides a lot of stability. Of course, you can easily bolt it to any tabletop.
Due to its high performance and quiet operation, this model remains one of the best floor drill press for woodworking and metal drilling out there. The only issue we have with it is that the laser pointer is a bit weak and difficult to see during the day.
- The powerful motor of 13 A
- Quiet even when drilling at maximum speed
- The large worktable of 14 inches
- Flexible and powerful work light
- The laser guide is weak and difficult to see
As we have seen in our floor drill press review above, there is a floor drill press for every budget and need out there.
Models like the Jet 351470 are absolute beasts when it comes to performance and versatility. However, it comes at a steep price.
For those with a smaller budget, you can still go with the Rockwell RK7033 as it delivers acceptable performance at a great price.
In this post:
- Benefits of the Floor Drill Press
- What to Check Before Buying Best Floor Drill Press?
- 6 Best Floor Drill Presses of 2021 Reviewed
- 1. Jet 351470 – Best Overall Floor Drill Press
- 2. Klutch 13 inch – Excellent Price to Performance Ratio
- 3. Shop Fox W1680 – High-performing and Heavy-duty
- 4. Rockwell ShopSeries RK7033 – Lightweight and Portable
- 5. Jet J2500 – Powerful and Versatile Speeds
- 6. Shop Fox W1848 – Easy to Use by Beginners
- 7. Wen 4227 – Powerful and Quiet Motor