The floor heating system is an excellent way of heating up your floor during the winter. With this system, your floor will always remain warm regardless of the temperature outside.
Best, you can install the floor heating system yourself in order to save money. It is an interesting DIY project that is not very difficult to perform.
- Cost effective: When compared to other heating solutions like heating radiators, the floor heating system is actually quite economical.Especially if you will install it yourself as you will save significantly on labor.
- Energy efficient: It is widely known that the floor heating system is around 25% or more energy efficient when compared to traditional heating methods. The heat is distributed more evenly and efficiently throughout your flooring in a way that it is almost impossible to get with other heating methods.This means that you will save money on your electricity bill in the long term while making your floor comfier to stand on.
- No carbon animation: The problem with most floor heating systems is that they tend to emit CO2 which is not only bad to the environment but can also cause health issues.This is not something you need to worry about with the floor heating system as it is environmentally friendly and does not emit CO2.
- Increase home value: With the floor heating system, your house will have a higher appraisal value in case you want to sell it down the line.
Without any further ado, let’s check out some of the best floor heating systems on the market below.
7 Best Floor Heating Systems – Review
1. Warming Systems 50 Sq.ft Cable (Large Surface Area Heater)
2. Warming Systems 20 Sq.ft Mat (Impressive 25-year Warranty)
3. HeatTech Electric Radiant (Flexible & Cost-Effective)
4. SunTouch WarmWire (Covers a Large Surface Area)
5. Pentair F1509 (Works on Any Floor Type)
6. SunTouch Floor Heat Mat (High-quality & Effective)
7. HeatWave Electric Radiant (Versatile & Reliable)
1. Warming Systems 50 Sq.ft Cable
(Large Surface Area Heater)
2. Warming Systems 20 Sq.ft Mat
(Impressive 25-year Warranty)
3. HeatTech Electric Radiant
(Flexible & Cost-Effective)
4. SunTouch WarmWire
(Covers a Large Surface Area)
5. Pentair F1509
(Works on Any Floor Type)
6. SunTouch Floor Heat Mat
(High-quality & Effective)
7. HeatWave Electric Radiant
(Versatile & Reliable)
1. Warming Systems 50 Sq.ft Cable – Large Surface Area Floor Heater
Photo: Warming Systems
- Heating Area: 50 square feet
- Material: Single Cold Lead
- Dimensions: 200 feet spool
There are many factors that make this floor heating system attractive. For one, it is made from a high-quality material that is durable and long-lasting. It’s not the type of floor heating system that you will have to replace often.
Moreover, you can cover a large surface area of 50 square feet with this floor heating system. It is easy to install by beginners, and it comes with clear instructions that will show you exactly how to install it. Of course, you get all installation accessories right out of the box.
Since it is only 1/8-inch-thick, your floor will be fully leveled as it is able to sit flush on this wire.
Best, you get a floor sensing thermostat with this purchase that will not only show you the temperature of the floor but also allows you to make adjustments to it.
All in all, when it comes to the surface area, this model is definitely one of the best electric floor heating systems because it can cover a large surface area and comes with a handy thermostat.
Notes: You will need to lay out the wire of this floor heating system at about 3 inches apart for maximum efficiency.
- Enough wires to cover a large surface area of 50 square feet
- Durable and long-lasting
- Comes with a thermostat for reading the temperature and making adjustments
- Easy to install by beginners. Comes with all installation accessories
- If the buyer is a little stiff
- A bit time-consuming to install
2. Warming Systems 20 Sq.ft Mat – Impressive 25-year Warranty
Photo: Warming Systems
- Heating Area: 20 square feet
- Material: Single Cold Lead
- Dimensions: 20 inches x 12 feet
If you have a small surface area to heat up, then this model is an absolute must-have. It is able to cover up to a maximum of 20 square feet with ease.
Unlike the previous model we have just reviewed, this one comes with a mesh mat that makes it easier to install. Since it is not very thick, it will not affect the aesthetics of your floor.
When paired with the included thermostat, you have the ability to not only see the temperature of your floor but also make adjustments to it. The thermostat is very easy to work with, and anyone can use it right away.
But what we really like about this top-rated floor heating system is that it comes with an impressive 25 years warranty from the manufacturer.
You can install it under a wide range of floor types, from wood floors to concrete slabs.
Indeed, you have absolutely nothing to worry about with this floor heating system because this unit will last an extremely long time. Possibly a whole lifetime.
- Cost effective pricing
- Comes with a thermostat to regulate the temperature quickly and easily
- Thin. Will not affect the looks of your floor regardless of floor type
- Impressive 25 years warranty from the manufacturer
- Takes time to install
3. HeatTech Electric Radiant – Flexible and Cost-Effective
- Heating Area: 20 square feet
- Material: Single Armored Cold Lead
- Dimensions: 20 inches x 12.2 feet
One of the main problems of the floor heating system is that it generally tends to be expensive and outside the budget of most people.
However, this is a problem that the HeatTech is here to solve. Indeed, when compared to other solutions in this review, this model is the most affordable floor heating systems.
It still comes with all included accessories, sports an excellent build construction, and is very easy to install. Since it comes in a mesh, you can easily cut it to size to match your installation space.
Moreover, you also have the possibility to purchase this floor heating system in various sizes that make it extremely versatile. It does not matter if you have a small or large surface area to cover; you can use this model.
The thickness of 1/8 inches is quite thin, so it will not get in the way of your floor material.
As with most reputable floor heating systems, it comes with a thermostat and sensor that will allow this floor heating system to work on autopilot and automatically heat up your floor.
All those make this model the best radiant floor heating system on the market. We highly recommend it!
- The most affordable solution in this review
- Flexible. Possibility to purchase it in different sizes
- The mesh can easily be cut during installation
- Comes with a thermostat and sensor
- Floor sensor is not as durable when compared to other models
4. SunTouch WarmWire – Covers a Large Surface Area
- Heating Area: 70 square feet
- Material: Copper Alloy
- Dimensions: 274 feet spool and 10 feet power lead
The SunTouch has been made specifically to cover a larger surface area when compared to other models. Indeed, the heating area of this floor heating system is 70 square feet.
Out of the box, you get a spool that contains no less than 274 feet of heated wires and 10 feet of power lead wire.
In addition, this model comes as a single wire with a copper alloy core. Of course, you also get the sensor as well as a handy touch-screen thermostat to regulate and monitor the temperature of this floor heating system.
But what makes this model one of the best floor heating systems on the market is its programmable touchscreen thermostat.
You can quickly and easily program a 7-day schedule with this thermostat to get a unique floor temperature every day. It is very powerful.
As with most floor heating systems on the market, the installation is quite easy. However, since this unit does not come in a mesh mat, it is a bit more time-consuming to install.
- Large heating area of 70 square feet
- Easy to install on any floor surface. The heating wire has a double-sided tape
- Powerful and highly programmable touchscreen thermostat
- Takes more time to install
- The price. It is expensive
5. Pentair F1509 – Works on Any Floor Type
- Heating Area: 15 square feet
- Dimensions: 60 inches x 36 inches
The Pentair F1509 is a heating floor mat that will work with any type of surface.
Unlike other floor heating systems that come in the form of wires, this model is a mat that you simply have to connect to a power source, and it will heat your floor surface.
It comes in the form of sheets that measures 60 inches x 36 inches. This offers it a heating area of 15 square feet. This is not very big, and you may need to purchase multiple units to feel a large area.
One of the biggest disadvantages of this floor heating system is that you cannot cut it during installation.
But it makes up for this small caveat by being versatile. Indeed, you can install this top-rated floor heating system in any type of flooring, from concrete slabs up to wood floors, and it will work efficiently.
Notes: You need to measure your installation space carefully with this model because you cannot cut it to size during installation.
- Very easy to install by beginners
- Versatile. Works with any types of floor surface
- Heats in a uniform manner with no cold spots
- You cannot cut the mat
- The price could have been better
6. SunTouch Floor Heat Mat – High-quality & Effective
- Heating Area: 30 square feet
- Dimensions: 24 inches x 15 feet
The SunTouch is a high-quality floor heating system that is made by Watts Radiant. One of the biggest advantages of this heated format is that it is easy to install by absolute beginners and can be cut to size.
It also comes in a mesh layout that holds the heated wires in place. This mass can easily be cut with a pair of scissors during the installation, no problem.
In addition, the heated wires themselves are quite thin, so they will be very discreet once installed on any type of floor.
You do not get a thermostat with this purchase, and you can cover a heating area of 30 square feet with the product.
Notes: There is a blue wire that you should never cut in this floor heating system. You will have to remove it from the mesh before you cut the mesh to size.
- Cost effective floor heating system
- High quality heated mat made by Watts Radiant
- Comes in a mesh that can easily be cut to size
- Does not come with a sensor or a thermostat
7. HeatWave Electric Radiant – Versatile and Reliable
- Heating Area: 50 square feet
- Dimensions: 20 inches x 30.1 feet
Few products in this floor heating system review can claim to be better than the HeatWave.
This heated mat is not only versatile because it is available in a wide range of sizes, but it also comes with a handy thermostat as well as all installation accessories.
This model comes in the standard mesh layout, and you can cut it to size depending on your installation area.
Not to mention that this heating system is covered by a solid 20-year manufacturer warranty.
Furthermore, it is made in the USA, so you can be assured that it is a high-quality product that will last you a long time.
Notes: In case you install this floor heating system in the bathroom, you should be careful never to install it under a tub as it may be dangerous to do so.
Also, you may need professional installation with this floor heating system for the manufacturer to honor the warranty.
- Available in a wide range of sizes depending on your need
- Comes with a powerful 7-day programmable thermostat
- Backed by a solid 20-year manufacturer warranty
- The price. It is expensive
- Requires professional installation to get the warranty
How to Buy the Best Floor Heating System
1. Types of Floor Heating System
There are basically 3 main types of floor heating systems on the market. Here is an overview of each and every one of them:
Hydronic: The hydronic floor heating system is the most commonly available heating type on the market. As its name suggests, the hydronic system uses water to heat up the floor. It is essentially a water hose and a series of water pumps which pumps hot water in the hose thus transferring the heat.One of the biggest advantages of the hydronic floor heating system is that you can install it anywhere you want in any pattern to easily fit the design of your floor.
Electric: The electric floor heating system basically uses a mat mesh that has a series of conductive wires glued to it.
The biggest advantage of this type of floor heating system is that it is quite economical and easy to install by absolute beginners. It is also durable and long-lasting with little to no maintenance necessary. For this reason, the electric floor heating system is generally regarded as one of the best floor heating systems that you can buy.
Air-heated: With the air heated system, you get another series of tubes that contains hot air. This type of floor heating system is usually intended for those who do not have a big surface area to heat. That’s mostly because air is not a good conductor of heat and cannot carry the heat to large surfaces.
Therefore, if you are trying to cover a large surface area with the air heated floor heating system, you will get inconsistent results.
2. Types of Floor
You also need to take into account the type of floor that you have before you make the decision to purchase the floor heating system. This is because not all floor heating systems are adapted to just any type of floor. The most common types of floors are:
Tile floor: Since this type of flooring uses ceramics, it is generally very conductive in heat. Therefore, the tile flooring is compatible with all types of floor heating systems and will deliver greater efficiency. It does not take much to heat this type of floor.
Wood floor: Even if the wood does not conduct heat as efficiently as the tile floor, it is still a good alternative. In addition, it is more aesthetically pleasing and quite durable as well.But, one of the tricky parts when installing a floor heating system in a wood floor is that wood expands and contracts with the change in temperature.Therefore, you will have to install the floor heating system a few days prior so that the contractions and expansions of the wood floor can accommodate to the heating system.
Carpet floor: You will need to be careful with the carpet floor because some carpets may be sensitive to too much heat.
Additionally, the risk of a fire hazard is greater with the carpet floor, especially if you have a tog over 2.5.
This means that the carpet is so thick that it will block almost all heat from the floor heating system such that the bottom of the carpet heats up more than the top.
However, once installed properly and on a carpet with the right tog, you will get a very good result with the carpet floor because it does not require much to heat.
Concrete floor: This type of floor heating system is perhaps the most difficult to install. You will have to first install the floor heating system before you cover it with a layer of concrete. Moreover, it is generally best to use concrete slabs because they are easier to install.
Once done, the concrete floor will deliver one of the best results you can get from a floor heating system because concrete is a very good conductor of heat.
In addition to concrete, you can also use materials like stone slabs for your flooring that will deliver equally good results.
3. Size of Your Room
The type and dimension of the floor heating system you choose will depend on the size of your room.
Before purchasing a floor heating system, it is always best to measure the size of your room in square feet to know exactly the amount of heating system to purchase.
In most cases, manufacturers already cut their floor heating system to a specific size, so it is always best to purchase more than less.
4. Heat Controllers
Most reputable floor heating systems will come with a heat controller or thermostat. This device will allow you to quickly and easily regulate the heat of your floor to your liking.
In addition, some models are advanced enough to have an automatic mode which means that every time it senses a drop in the floor temperature, the thermostat will automatically heat up the floor for you.
They also have a scheduling feature so that you can program the exact temperature you want during a 7-day period.
The floor heating system is a cost-effective and easy way of heating your floor during the winter. Now, you can comfortably walk barefooted on your floor.
One of the best things about the floor heating system is that it is an interesting DIY project that you can do yourself.
If you are looking for a way to heat your floor and make it more comfortable, then investing in a floor heating system is one of the best investments you will make.
- The Advantages of Floor Heating – Stelpro
In this post:
- 7 Best Floor Heating Systems – Review
- 1. Warming Systems 50 Sq.ft Cable – Large Surface Area Floor Heater
- 2. Warming Systems 20 Sq.ft Mat – Impressive 25-year Warranty
- 3. HeatTech Electric Radiant – Flexible and Cost-Effective
- 4. SunTouch WarmWire – Covers a Large Surface Area
- 5. Pentair F1509 – Works on Any Floor Type
- 6. SunTouch Floor Heat Mat – High-quality & Effective
- 7. HeatWave Electric Radiant – Versatile and Reliable
- How to Buy the Best Floor Heating System