Making French fries at home is not only fun, but it is essential to ensure that you and your family are consuming something healthy. It is a popular snack that we tend to serve all the guests and even enjoy in the evening with a cup of hot coffee. To evenly slice the potatoes for making this snack, you need the best French fry cutter.
The tool has lethal blades, mostly made of stainless steel, that effortlessly slice the potato in several evenly sized slices. Also, they are mostly rounded at the back so that you can get the exact shape of commercially-sold French fries.
This French fry cutter review is dedicated to all the latest and premium models on the market. Without any further ado, let’s take a dig in the options.
What To Check Before Buying Best French Fry Cutter?
A French fry cutter has many details related to it that buyers need to know. Whether it is about the operation mechanism or the material used in the making, there are some significant details that every buyer should note before shortlisting a model.
1. Standard or Heavy-duty French Fry Cutter
First, there is a little that you need to know about the two type of cutters that varies on the basis of strength.
Standard French Fry Cutters: These are a simple machine that cut the potatoes quickly and effortlessly. These are manual in operation and comprise heavy-duty frames to provide maximum stability to the appliance.
Most of the best French fry cutter for home use are the standard models as they don’t have any complex mechanism of operation and available at an affordable price as well.
These tools can be mounted on the kitchen countertop for usage. The weight is also manageable. To make them portable, you can fit them on the wooden cutting boards. The cut type given to these machines is basic.
Heavy-duty French Fry Cutter: These are also known as automatic cutters with more rugged frames and multiple cutting mechanism. These are the best commercial French fry cutters as the cutting speed is fast, and they can attend high-volumes.
Such models are designed thoughtfully in such a way that they can cater to hundreds of customers every day. These machines are well-constructed and usually have a lot of features like differently sized fries, etc.
The argument is quite evident. Since you are buying a machine for home usage, there is no point in spending thousands of dollars on it. You can choose a high-quality standard French fry cutter. However, for commercial use, the heavy-duty ones are suitable.
2. Manual or Automatic French Fry Cutter
So, the criteria of selection further open up here when you have to select between manual and automatic French fry cutter. While the people have the bewilderment that automatic cutters are not suitable for domestic use, such is not the case.
Both the machines are available in different sizes. Of course, they vary on cost, but you can buy either of the machine for domestic as well as commercial use. We will simplify it below:
Manual French Fry Cutter: So, the manual machine comes with a space where you have to fit the potato and there is a lever that needs to be pulled to slice it.
These machines are less expensive and because the mechanism is straightforward, you don’t have to worry about them going fritz on you any time soon.
The manual machines are suitable for domestic use, and small businesses (mostly home owned).
Automatic French Fry Cutter: The counterpart to the manual cutter is the automatic one. You don’t have to make any effort while using these machines and their volume of output is immense.
These machines are also known as air powered cutters, and you can find them in large cafes, restaurants, college canteens, etc. Electric power or air cylinders are used to operate the machine.
They force the potatoes through the blades and without posing any strain on the user, the well-cut slices are released from the machine.
Both the kind of machines has their own target market. If you don’t want to do any stringent work them buy the automatic machine otherwise you have the manual model which is less expensive and more dependable.
Some cutters are manufactured with a single in-built blade while there are other devices that comes with changeable blades.
In order to protect the blade from rusting and corrosion, they are usually made of stainless-steel material. The high-quality material is quite reliable and durable.
There are other low-quality materials available in blades that you shouldn’t buy. The mixed metal blades are not dependable, and they break too easily.
While making purchase, be sure that the machine allows you to use different blades for cutting variable sized fries, and it is made of great material.
The slicing tasks demands to apply some force from the user. If the base plastic is fragile then the machine will probably break soon.
The frame should be made of quality material such as heavy-duty cast iron. It will handle work better and also double the speed.
5. Ease to Clean
You will agree with me on this that the products that are difficult to clean are less inclined to be used. It will be better if you can buy a model that is dishwasher friendly. Most of the leading models are dishwasher friendly, so cleaning shouldn’t be a lot of hassle.
8 Best French Fry Cutters of 2021 Reviewed
1. New Star Foodservice 42313 (Best Overall)
2. Weston 363501W (Solid Cast-iron Fry Cutter)
3. Culina CUL-20142 (Most Economically Priced)
4. Goplus French Fry Cutter (Extremely Durable Manual Design)
5. Tiger Chef French Fry Cutter (Lightweight & Portable)
6. LEM 825 (Heavy-duty & Commercial-grade)
7. TMS VD-33860KC (Most Expensive)
8. Westmark 11802260 (Suitable for Occasional User)
1. New Star Foodservice 42313 – Best Overall
- Blade Size: 1/2″
- Material: Heavy duty Cast Iron & Stainless steel
- Weight: 11 lbs
Introducing the star product in the list from New Star Foodservice that is manufactured with a combination of heavy-duty materials. The frame is made of heavy cast iron which gives sturdy grip on the counter. Also, it has suction feet for smooth landing of the machine on the counter.
The blades are made of stainless-steel which give even cutting of the potatoes. The durability is also safeguarded through the blades as they are rust-free. As far as the length is concerned, this model can provide 6” long and 1/2″ wide French fries.
This is a manual machine, mostly recommended for home use or in smaller businesses. You can permanently mount it on the counter-top or in the wall settings, wherever you find it fitting.
This is a heavy-duty machine that most buyers will appreciate. However, the setback is that while the quality of the blade is incredible, it is only available in one-size. There are no multiple size blades available with this model.
Also, the weight of the machine is on the higher side. It is not portable so once you have mounted it on the counter, make sure not to disturb or replace it often.
- Sharp and rust-resisting blade
- Great quality and highly durable
- Sturdy model which is secure to use
- Easy to use without giving much strain to the user
- It is a little heavy so can’t be called portable
- It comes with single blade size
2. Weston 363501W – Solid Cast-iron
- Blade Size: 3/8”
- Material: Heavy duty Cast Iron & Stainless Steel
- Weight: 13 lbs
So, this model from Weston is quite similar to the previous model recommended in the list. Here too, the material used in the construction of the frame is cast iron. One thing that you should know about cast iron is that it is extremely sturdy and keep you secure while slicing.
The blades are made from hardened stainless-steel. This definitely uplifts the durability quotient of the product. While you can buy it for domestic use, this is a commercial grade model for slicing potatoes. The size of the blade is 3/8” and it can make 6” long fries.
The suction cups on the feet helps in convenient mounting of the machine. Also, it protects the surface of counter from possible starches. The quality of the cutter is uncompromised. You can try cutting different vegetables like carrots, eggplants, or potatoes.
Just like the previous model, the heavy weight and lack of multiple blades is something that might disappoint the buyers. But other than that, this product is simply amazing.
- Frame constructed with heavy-duty metal to provide more sturdiness
- Blades made of hardened stainless-steel
- Can cut vegetables like eggplant and carrots also
- Very secure and durable product
- Heavy weight makes it difficult to move
- Only available with single blade size
3. Culina CUL-20142 – Most Economically Priced
- Blade Size: 3/8”, 1/2″
- Material: Plastic & Stainless Steel
- Weight: 1.6 lbs
This is one of the most sophisticated models available on the market that you can consider purchasing. It is white and the frame is constructed with high-quality plastic material which makes the machine lightweight.
The blades installed in this model are made of stainless-steel. The uncompromised quality of stainless steel makes this machine suitable for purchase. Also, there are two blades that can be interchanged. The sizes are 1/2 and 3/8 inches. You can pick the size as per your need.
The lower part of the cutter is designed in curved shape so that the potatoes can fit in easily. You can also cut cucumber, zucchinis, yams, apples, radishes, and other things.
This model is really convenient to clean. You can simply spray the water on the target areas and set clean. Unfortunately, it is not dishwasher safe, so you have to do the cleaning yourself. Also, there is a constant issue of sturdiness with this model because of the plastic frame.
- Suitable to slice different vegetables
- Stainless steel blades for effortless slicing
- Curved shape lower to accommodate potatoes
- Available with two blades
- The plastic base is not as sturdy
- This model has to be washed manually
4. Goplus French Fry Cutter – Extremely Durable
- Blade Size: 3/8”, 1/2″, 1/4″
- Material: Heavy-duty Cast-iron & Stainless Steel
- Weight: 10 lbs
Goplus cutter is also meticulously made with cast iron material on the frame which gives it much-required sturdiness. It does not slide away on pressing the lever when pressure is applied.
Coming to the blade, they are available in three different sizes- 1/2, 1/4, and 3/8 inches. This is among the most resourceful models that offer such versatility in blade sizes.
The construction of blades is done with 304 stainless-steel material to keep them high in performance but low at rusting. The aluminum alloy handles are also quite strong and capable of providing maximum strength to the machine. No wonder this is one of the most durable cutters on the market.
The handle is ergonomically designed so that the user don’t get any strain on the arm while pressing the lever. Unfortunately, there are no suction caps on the feet to scratch the countertop floor. Also, the excessive weight makes it less prone to movement.
If you can keep it at one place without having to move a lot then this could be the finest model to purchase.
- Incredibly designed machine with heavy-duty construction
- Rust and corrosion resistant blades
- Versatility in blade sizes
- Ergonomically designed handle for strain-free usage
- Little heftily weighed machine
- Does not come with suction caps on the bottom
5. Tiger Chef French Fry Cutter – Lightweight & Portable
- Blade Size: 3/8”, 1/2″
- Material: Stainless Steel & Plastic
- Weight: 1.6 lbs
If you need something lightweight and effective then this model from Tiger Chef is a suitable choice. The body of this appliance is made of plastic which makes it one of the most portable machines. If you are planning to take the appliance to your farm house then this will coordinate with you completely.
The blades are made of hardened stainless steel. They are so sharp that you don’t need to apply a lot of pressure for slicing. Also, to give you more size option, there are two blades available with this model: 1/2 and 3/8 inches.
Since the highest-quality stainless-steel is used, you can rest assured that the blades will not rust or corrode. This machine is of decent quality. However, because of the plastic frame, you cannot expect a lot of sturdiness from the machine.
This can also hamper the overall durability of the product. If you are a frequent user then this model might not be as suitable for you.
- Lightweight and portable machine
- Available with two blades sizes
- Stainless steel blade construction for more strength
- Rust and corrosion-resistant blades
- There is an issue of sturdiness with this model
- It is not as durable as its counterparts
6. LEM 825 – Best Heavy-duty Commercial-grade
- Blade Size: 3/8”, 1/2″
- Material: Heavy-duty Cast-iron
- Weight: 15 lbs
The LEM French fry cutter is commercial grade because first, its construction is done with superior cast-iron material. It gives more sturdiness of the machine which eventually lead to the increased speed while slicing.
Then there are two sizes available in the stainless-steel blades – 1/2 and 3/8 inches with a standard length of 6 inches. You can expect amazing productivity from the blades as they are completely resistant of rust and corrosion.
The sharpness of blades reduces the need of applying much pressure while slicing. The lever is also made of cast-iron material which is easy to pull and use. This model is suitable to slice other vegetables such as cucumber, zucchini, carrots, etc.
Just like all the similar grade models, 15 lbs weight of this machine is a bit too much. You just have to give it a corner to place from where you don’t have to move it too frequently.
- Cast iron frame for great stability
- Sharp stainless-steel blades for speedy slicing
- Effortless operation without much strain
- Comes with 2 blade sizes for selective slicing
- The machine is quite heavy
7. TMS VD-33860KC – Most Expensive
- Blade Size: 1/4″, 3/8”, 1/2″, 5/8”
- Material: Heavy-duty Cast-iron
- Weight: 10.8 lbs
Among all the other models recommended for the best French fry cutter, this one is different because of the aluminum alloy construction of the body. It is weighty but not as much as cast-iron frames. However, the durability is as amazing as its counterpart.
This model has also got lethal stainless-steel blades to provide swift slicing of the vegetables. There is an immense option in blade size ranging 1/4″, 3/8”, 1/2″, and 5/8”. You can slice the fries as per the required size.
The machine is quite amazing and comes with no particular drawbacks. The slicing is done effortlessly. However, for the domestic users, the high cost of this product can become a cause to look past this model.
- Made with great quality material
- Very easy to clean this machine
- Available with 4 differently sized blades
- Gives you great durability
- A little on the heavier side
- Costly than the counterparts
8. Westmark 11802260 – Suitable for Occasional User
- Blade Size: 1/4″, 3/8”, 1/2″
- Material: Plastic & Stainless Steel
- Weight: 1.64 lbs
The Westmark cutter has got the frame made of plastic material. This clearly means that the weight will be less, and you can carry it anywhere you like.
The blades however are made of uncompromised quality stainless-steel. You get three sizes in blades to slice fries in 3 different sizes. It has got ABS base and handle that streamlines the slicing.
Secondly, the rubber suction unit helps in providing secure hold over the machine. It can be used for slicing potatoes as well as other vegetables.
This is a decent model however because of the plastic base, their stability and durability of this model is questionable. If you are not a frequent user then this economically priced model will help you with occasional slicing.
- This machine is quite affordable and economically priced
- It is suitable for slicing various vegetables
- The stainless-steel blades are highly effective
- Washing the machine is quite simple
- The durability of this model is questionable
- Not recommended to be used routinely
With our French fry cutter review, you don’t have to go through the trouble of buying a wrong product and regret later. The models discussed above are suitable for domestic users mostly.
They are easy to use and the materials used are sturdy enough to give you secure experience of operating. The potato slice for French fry should be symmetrical and evenly shaped. These machines help you slice the potatoes evenly and effortlessly.
Take your pick from the models suggested above and bring joy a perfect machine for the fine evening gatherings at home.
In this post:
- What To Check Before Buying Best French Fry Cutter?
- 8 Best French Fry Cutters of 2021 Reviewed
- 1. New Star Foodservice 42313 – Best Overall
- 2. Weston 363501W – Solid Cast-iron
- 3. Culina CUL-20142 – Most Economically Priced
- 4. Goplus French Fry Cutter – Extremely Durable
- 5. Tiger Chef French Fry Cutter – Lightweight & Portable
- 6. LEM 825 – Best Heavy-duty Commercial-grade
- 7. TMS VD-33860KC – Most Expensive
- 8. Westmark 11802260 – Suitable for Occasional User