Lasagna is a great dish, but preparing it by yourself is a tedious job, especially if you’ve got a busy lifestyle. This is where frozen lasagnas come in because they make it easy for you to eat lasagna when you want.
You can either buy frozen lasagnas directly or buy oven-ready lasagna ingredients to make and freeze.
This makes it necessary to learn and understand more before ordering and that’s what this frozen lasagnas review is all about.
You get a list of the top offers in the market, as well as a buying guide to help you make the best choice.
What to Check Before Buying Best Frozen Lasagnas?
Frozen lasagnas are so different that it’s easy to get overwhelmed, especially if it’s your first time. Different manufacturers make different types of lasagnas for different people and the range is extensive.
Still, it’s possible to get exactly what you want if you know what to look out for, and that’s what this buying guide is all about. The following paragraphs will present you with the most important factors to consider when choosing a frozen lasagna brand.
This one is obvious because you can easily see the extensive range of offers in the market. But the question remains: Which one do you choose?
Lasagna is as varied as pizza, so you’ll find everything from vegetarian lasagnas to mushroom, minced meat, sweet potato, and even butternut squash lasagnas. The list goes on.
What’s important here is for you to know the types of ingredients you like or that best fits into your lifestyle. The list is endless, so find what works for you.
2. Gluten-free Lasagnas
Gluten is a group of proteins that occur in various cereal grains. They help the dough to rise, make it elastic, and give it a chewy texture. This makes gluten flour very popular with food manufacturers.
The problem, however, is that a small part of the public is allergic to gluten. And different disorders can arise when such an allergic person eats frozen lasagna that’s made using gluten flour.
So, if you or someone that’ll be eating the lasagna is allergic to gluten, then the best advice is to look for gluten-free lasagnas. The package must clearly state ‘gluten-free’ or the like, so you are sure of what you’re getting.
3. Calorie Count
Lasagna is a calorie-heavy dish. So if you’re counting your calories or watching your weight in any way, then you’ll need to go for frozen lasagna offers that come with fewer calories.
Nearly every manufacturer will state exactly how much calories are in the lasagna that you’re about to buy. This should help you to make an easier choice.
4. Package Size
This consideration comes down to your needs. Are you living alone? Or with a large family? Do you want lasagna that will last just a few weeks or an order that should last for many months?
As you can imagine, everyone will have slightly different answers here. So, it’s left for you to calculate how much will fit your household.
5. Reheating Instructions
There are different methods for reheating lasagnas. You can either use an oven, a microwave, or even a frying pan. It’s important, however, to read the instructions on the package, because most makers will let you know the exact temperature and time that’s perfect for their product.
9 Best Frozen Lasagnas of 2021 Reviewed
|1. Explore Cuisine Lasagna (Chickpea & Lentils Green Lasagnas)|
|2. Le Veneziane Lasagna (Pack of 2 Gluten-free Lasagna Sheets)|
|3. Chef Boyardee 6414404730 (Pack of 12 Microwaveable Beef Lasagna)|
|4. DeLallo Organic Lasagne (Pack of 6 Oven-ready Lasagna Sheets)|
|5. HMR Lasagna (Set of 6 Low-Calorie Lasagnas with Meat & Sauce)|
|6. Tinkyada Pasta (Pack of 6 Brown Rice Lasagna Pasta)|
|7. Nestle Stouffers (Pack of 12 Five-cheese Lasagna)|
|8. Nestle Stouffers Veggies (Pack of 12 Vegetable Lasagnas)|
|9. Conte’s Pasta (Gluten-free Pack of 6 Cheese Lasagna)|
1. Explore Cuisine Lasagna – Chickpea & Lentils Green Lasagnas
- Ingredients: Lentils, beans, rice pasta
- Calories: 190 per 2-oz serving
- Package Size: 6 packs
If you’re like many health-conscious people, and you want to enjoy yourself to the fullest, while keeping your carb intake to a minimum, then you may need this lasagna offer.
The package has enough lasagna sheets for four servings, and they come from a mix of beans, lentils, and rice to make one of the best frozen vegetable lasagnas you’ll get to taste.
All the ingredients are organic and certified by the USDA. You can either get one packet with four servings or this pack of six for a total of 24 servings. There’s also a larger set of 12.
No doubt, you’ll have to put this lasagna together first before freezing. This, however, allows you the freedom you need to make the best frozen vegetable lasagna as you like it.
- Lentil lasagna with high protein content
- Great offer for vegans
- USDA-certified organic lasagna pasta
- Gluten-free, fewer carbs, and more fiber
- Vegan food is hardly the best tasting
- The pasta still needs processing
2. Le Veneziane Lasagna – Pack of 2 Gluten-free
- Ingredients: Maize and rice flour
- Calories: 364 per 100g
- Package Size: 2 packs
Everyone isn’t into green and vegetable lasagnas. If you just want standard but gluten-free lasagna sheets, then this offer is worth looking into.
It features lasagna sheets made using maize and rice flour, plus other ingredients to hold the sheets together and give them a beautiful texture. They are also egg-free and need no boiling before use.
You can use these sheets to make any type of the best frozen lasagna that you wish, including meat and vegetarian recipes.
For downsides, you can get cheaper offers elsewhere, but whether they capture an authentic Italian taste and texture is another story. The recommended baking temperature is 220°C or 428°F.
- Pack of 2 gluten-free lasagna sheets
- Ready for use. No boiling required
- Both packets offer 8 servings combined
- Includes proteins and some fiber
- You can get cheaper lasagna sheets
- They don’t seem completely organic
3. Chef Boyardee 6414404730 – Pack of 12 Microwaveable Beef Lasagna
- Ingredients: Pasta, meat, tomatoes
- Calories: 210 per cup
- Package Size: 12 packs
While the previous two offers were just the pasta sheets for making your lasagna that you can then freeze for as long as you want, this offer is for already baked and ready to eat lasagna.
You get 12 cups in this package and all the cups are microwaveable. So you just need to throw it into a microwave oven, wait just 45 seconds, and food is ready.
Chef Boyardee makes delicious canned Italian pasta products for the family. So, in addition to this lasagna, you can also get ravioli, ‘mac and cheese’, as well as spaghetti with meatballs.
Although they contain some saturated fats and Chef Boyardee doesn’t say if they are gluten-free, what you get here is a convenient and easy to prepare lasagna that you can quickly warm and eat anywhere where there’s a microwave oven.
- Pack of 12 lasagnas in microwaveable bowls
- Includes meats with chunky tomatoes
- The lasagnas don’t include artificial ingredients
- Also includes proteins
- It’s not declared gluten-free
- It has saturated fats
4. DeLallo Organic Lasagne – Pack of 6 Oven-ready
- Ingredients: wheat
- Calories: 210 per 2-oz serving
- Package Size: 6 packs
Here’s a tasty offer for anyone looking to make the best tasting frozen lasagna. There are six boxes in the package and each of these 9-oz boxes contains 4.5 servings (at 2 oz).
The sheets are oven-ready and need no prior boiling. Simply set up your lasagna as you wish and either bake it immediately or freeze it for later.
Although it’s a great-tasting lasagna that’s made from wheat, it’s difficult to agree that it’s a whole-grain product, as the ingredient declaration on the package lists “whole wheat semolina”.
Long story short: If you want true “Whole Wheat” lasagna, then check elsewhere. Else, this is a nice offer for making beautiful and delicious lasagnas.
- Tasty lasagna pasta with a hearty flavor
- Package has six 9-oz boxes
- Needs no boiling before use
- USDA-certified 100% organic lasagna
- It has a misleading ingredient declaration
- There are cheaper lasagna sheet offers
5. HMR Lasagna – Set of 6 Low-Calorie with Meat & Sauce
- Ingredients: Pasta, tomatoes, meat
- Calories: Under 300
- Package Size: 6 packs
HMR entrees are part of the HMR program and aim to offer meal replacements that are under 300 calories for those on a diet. This lasagna is just one of those.
Each 8-oz serving has only 240 calories and 14 grams of protein, making it a balanced dish for those on a diet. This package has six such servings.
You don’t even need to refrigerate it until you open it. This gives it an edge over the best frozen lasagnas, as you can take it almost anywhere, including off-grid.
One downside, however, is that vegetables aren’t included in the package, so you’ll always need to add extra veggies to the dish. It’s a convenient and fast method, anyway, giving you a low-calorie meal in just one minute in the microwave.
- Pack of 6 8-oz lasagna servings
- Each serving has only 240 calories
- Refrigeration isn’t even needed
- Microwaves in just 1 minute
- It includes saturated fats
- The package doesn’t include veggies
6. Tinkyada Pasta – Pack of 6 Brown Rice Lasagna Pasta
- Ingredients: Rice and water
- Calories: 170 per 1.6-oz serving
- Package Size: 6 packs
A nice alternative for gluten issues is pasta from brown rice. This package has six 10-oz boxes with enough pasta to serve six. These pasta sheets are from 100% organic brown rice and this makes them gluten-free, as well as very delicious.
Rice pasta also has a good chewy texture, making your lasagna dinner a more pleasurable experience.
For the best gluten-free lasagna that’s frozen, this Tinkyada rice pasta will not disappoint. Brown rice also comes with micro-nutrients like manganese and magnesium, and it’s loaded with antioxidants as well.
It’s kosher certified, cholesterol free, and it includes no preservatives. One downside, however, is that the pasta sheets need pre-boiling. But on the brighter side, this lets you boil the rice sheets to the perfect texture that you like.
- Brown rice lasagna pasta
- Package includes 6 boxes of six servings
- Gluten-free and completely organic
- Makes great-tasting lasagnas
- The pasta sheets need pre-boiling
- Some people just don’t like rice
7. Nestle Stouffers – Best Pack of 12
- Ingredients: 5 cheese types, tomatoes, pasta
- Calories: 350 per serving
- Package Size: 12
As one of the best frozen lasagna brands, Nestle makes very practical lasagnas that offer a warm and filling meal anywhere.
All you need is to heat it when you’re hungry, and you’ve got a nice lasagna. You can also take one or more packages with you wherever you go for a nice and healthy lunch at work, for instance.
It’s also a great dish if you’re a cheese lover because it comes with five kinds of cheese, including ricotta, mozzarella, Romano, provolone, and Parmesan.
The issue, however, is with the tomato sauce, and it all boils down to preference. Its sauce is just plain and sweet tomatoes, no garlic, no herbs, and no meat. If you love meatless lasagnas anyway, then you should love this as well.
- Frozen and oven-ready lasagnas
- The package has 12 servings
- Made using five different kinds of cheese
- Each serving has almost an ounce of protein
- The sauce isn’t very impressive
- It’s meatless, so it’s not for meat lovers
8. Nestle Stouffers Veggies – Pack of 12
- Ingredients: Veggies, mozzarella, pasta
- Calories: 400 per serving
- Package Size: 12 packs
Here’s a different take from Nestle and this time, it’s lots of veggies in a creamy cheese sauce. If you want the best frozen lasagna with lots of veggies, then check this out.
There are 12 packs in each package and each serving includes carrots, broccoli, and spinach. You also get lots of other vegetables and ingredients to make this a very nutrient-rich dish.
This lasagna’s big issue is price. This frozen mozzarella is costlier than comparable offers. But, if you go through its list of ingredients, then you’ll also agree that it’s worth it as the best frozen vegetable lasagna.
- Frozen vegetable lasagnas from Nestle
- Each package has 12 packs/servings
- Veggies include spinach, broccoli, and carrots
- Perfect lasagna for vegetarians
- It’s a relatively expensive pack of lasagnas
- Contains a sizable amount of saturated fats
9. Conte’s Pasta – Gluten-free Pack
- Ingredients: Rice and corn starch, tomatoes, eggs, mozzarella
- Calories: 500 per serving
- Package Size: 6 packs
Are you looking for the best frozen lasagna in family size? This offer comes with generous 12-oz serving size, all frozen and ready for the oven.
It’s additionally gluten-free, as it’s made from rice flour and maize starch, including other ingredients such as eggs. The sauce includes tomatoes and garlic, while each serving delivers 500 calories.
The not-so-good part of this lasagna is its fat content, half of it is the heart-unhealthy saturated fat. Each serving also has 180 mg of cholesterol, which is also significant. Else, it’s a delicious treat for anyone who longs for gluten-free lasagna.
- Gluten-free lasagna
- Frozen and ready for the oven
- Package includes 6 packs of 12-oz servings
- Made from rice flour and corn starch
- Lots of saturated fat and cholesterol
- No veggies or meat included
How to Reheat Frozen Lasagna?
It’s the ability to reheat lasagna at will that makes it very valuable, so you must know all the methods and possibilities of reheating it, especially when it’s homemade.
The following are the most popular reheating methods and how to go about them.
1. Using A Microwave
- Place the lasagna on a microwave-safe plate
- Drizzle some water on it and cover with any microwave-safe container
- Defrost the lasagna first if it’s frozen
- Now heat it using the temperature and timer instructions on the package
- If homemade, use high heat for 3 minutes or up to 10 minutes for larger portions
- The lasagna should appear bubbly once done
2. Using an Oven
- First, preheat the oven to about 400 °F or any instructed temperature
- Set the lasagna inside on an oven-safe plate
- Drizzle some water on it and cover with foil
- The foil should seal the lasagna to prevent moisture loss
- Let it warm for about 25 minutes or the manufacturer’s specified time
- It should appear bubbly once done or measure about 165°F on a meat thermometer
3. Using a Frying Pan
- Thaw the lasagna first
- Place the lasagna in the frying pan
- Pour some water or sauce around the sides
- Cover the skillet and let simmer for about 20 minutes
We’ve come to the end of this frozen lasagnas review and it’s been an extensive list. You’ve seen all the different offerings out there, including standard tomato-sauce lasagnas and more creative recipes for different people.
You’ve also seen different types of lasagna sheets, including gluten-free types and those for vegans and veggie lovers, as well as meat lovers.
This last decision is yours alone to make because you’re the only one that knows what you want.
In this post:
- What to Check Before Buying Best Frozen Lasagnas?
- 9 Best Frozen Lasagnas of 2021 Reviewed
- 1. Explore Cuisine Lasagna – Chickpea & Lentils Green Lasagnas
- 2. Le Veneziane Lasagna – Pack of 2 Gluten-free
- 3. Chef Boyardee 6414404730 – Pack of 12 Microwaveable Beef Lasagna
- 4. DeLallo Organic Lasagne – Pack of 6 Oven-ready
- 5. HMR Lasagna – Set of 6 Low-Calorie with Meat & Sauce
- 6. Tinkyada Pasta – Pack of 6 Brown Rice Lasagna Pasta
- 7. Nestle Stouffers – Best Pack of 12
- 8. Nestle Stouffers Veggies – Pack of 12
- 9. Conte’s Pasta – Gluten-free Pack
- How to Reheat Frozen Lasagna?