Even though grill brushes can get most of the grease and grime off your grates after grilling, scrubbing is not enough at times. This is where grill cleaners come in. These cleaners are solutions that dissolve the remaining grime so as to leave your cooking surface sparkling clean.
However, there is a wide variety of these cleaners in the market today, and you can get confused during the selection process, especially if you are not sure about what you need. That said, this article looks at the best grill cleaners in the market, from which you can take your pick.
What to Check Before Buying Best Grill Cleaner?
A couple of factors need to be considered before selecting a grill cleaner, and these are:
Grill cleaners are mostly chemicals and the ingredients used in the formulation define the characteristics of the solution.
For instance, strong and fast action cleaners are mostly corrosive and can even scratch your grill’s surface. Such products can also cause skin and eye irritation and therefore, must be handled with care.
On the other hand, some cleaners such as the citrus-based types act more mildly but are very safe because their formulations are non-flammable, phosphate-free and biodegradable.
Generally, the milder types of cleaners are recommended for everyday use, but if you encounter stubborn grime and stains, get the stronger, fast-acting gels.
2. Ease of Use
The ease of use factor comes into play in the application method. Spray bottles and aerosol cans are generally easy to use because you simply have to spray the solution to the exact position, then wipe using a cloth.
Spray bottles have the additional advantage of being recyclable because the spraying nozzle mechanism at the top can be unscrewed from the bottle, allowing you to do a refill. Aerosol cans, on the other hand, can only be disposed after the cleaner is depleted inside.
3. Safety of Use
Continuing on from the ingredients factor above, the heavy-duty, fast cleaning gels might require you to wear gloves and other protective wear so as to prevent skin and eye contact because they may cause irritation on these body parts.
Such cleaners should be kept far from children, pets and even your food. However, to be on the safe side, it is recommended to buy cleaners containing natural ingredients such as d-limonene.
These are usually very safe even when consumed accidentally or when they come into contact with the eyes and skin.
As much as the main purchase is a grill cleaner, having an accessory attached is always an added plus. Some grill cleaners come with wiping cloths attached, and this makes the deal better because you get more value for your money. Generally, the more the accessories, the better.
The size factor goes hand in hand with cost. Of course, a large size is better because it gives you enough gel for cleaning your grill multiple times. However, if it is too costly, then it will not be economical to buy the product.
A small size grill cleaner, on the other hand, might not be enough for multiple cleaning cycles, but if the product is affordable, then it will be worth buying. If the product is concentrated, this makes it even better because a little amount will be required for each cleaning cycle.
All in all, make sure you get value for money for the product that you buy.
Most grill cleaners are scented so that they leave a fresh aroma after you clean the grates. Others have odorless formulations that simply do the cleaning and that’s it. None can be said to be better than the other and selection should be based on personal preference.
Lastly, instead of buying a cleaner that is only suitable for getting rid of dirt, grime, and grease on your grill, it would be better to get one that can be used to clean multiple appliances around your home such as dishwashers, microwaves, refrigerators, etc.
This means getting a product that is universally compatible with most surfaces such as stainless steel, aluminum, and chrome among many others.
9 Best Grill Cleaners of 2021 Reviewed
1. Therapy Premium Stainless-Steel Cleaner (Best Stainless-Steel Cleaner)
2. Bryson Industries SA02 Grill Cleaning Spray (Citrus-Based)
3. Weber Grill Cleaner Spray (For Charcoal)
4. CLR PB-BBQ-26 Grill Cleaner (Best for BBQ)
5. Goo Gone 2045A Grill & Grate Cleaner (Biodegradable Gel)
6. Weber W62 Grill Cleaner (Non-Corrosive)
7. Easy-Off BBQ Grill Cleaner (Good)
8. Easy-Off RAC76461 Stainless-Steel Cleaner (Odorless Formula)
9. Easy-Off Professional Oven & Grill Cleaner (Heavy-Duty)
1. Therapy Premium Stainless-Steel Cleaner – Best Stainless-Steel
Starting off this list is Therapy’s premium grill cleaner, and this one contains a unique, non-toxic plant-based formula that is specifically suited for cleaning and protecting stainless-steel surfaces in one step.
While cleaning, the solution gets rid of smudges, streaks and fingerprints from your grill’s surfaces then creates a coconut-based protective shine that repels dust, fingerprints, and dirt. This makes it one of the best outdoor grill cleaners because of its outer protective layer.
Other features include an easy-to-use 16-ounce spray bottle packaging and it comes with a 14 x 14-inch microfiber cloth to help you get started straight out of the box. On the downside, this formulation is only suited for stainless steel surfaces
- Unique, non-toxic plant-based formula
- Gets rid of smudges, fingerprints, and streaks from your grill
- Leaves a coconut-based protective shine that repels fingerprints, dust, and dirt
- Easy-to-use spray bottle packaging
- Comes with a 14 x 14-inch microfiber towel
- Only suited for stainless steel surfaces
2. Bryson Industries SA02 – Best Citrus-Based
Bryson Industries’ SA02 is a citrus-based grill cleaner that utilizes the power of d-limonene compounds for the actual cleaning.
The benefit of having these compounds as the core ingredients is that the cleaner is non-toxic, biodegradable, non-flammable and phosphate-free, making it very safe to use.
While bearing these properties, SA02 does not substitute superior cleaning power for safety. It still delivers a powerful cleaning action and is ideal for gas and charcoal grills, which makes it one of the best degreaser grill cleaners in the market.
Other features include a relatively large 23-ounce packaging that contains a lot of cleaning solution and an easy-to-use spray bottle packaging that is recyclable for environmental conservation.
However, the product does not come with a towel attached and does not leave a protective layer after cleaning.
- Non-toxic and biodegradable citrus-based cleaner
- Delivers powerful cleaning action on gas and charcoal grills
- Large 23-ounce packaging
- Easy-to-use and recyclable spray bottle packaging
- Towel not included
- Does not create a protective layer
3. Weber Grill Cleaner Spray – Best Charcoal
If you own a charcoal grill, this cleaning spray is specifically designed to work on your unit because it’s formulated to clean out charred food, dirt, grease, and grime on such grills.
The product is also safe to use on other grill cooking surfaces, and contains a non-toxic formula that is USDA approved, surpasses international standards of biodegradability and does not cause skin irritation.
More features include a recyclable 16-ounce spray bottle packaging that is also easy-to-use. However, no towel is included with this cleaner and it contains alkaline ingredients that may cause eye irritation.
- Formulated to eliminate charred food, grease, dirt, and grime
- Safe to use on other grilling surfaces
- Non-toxic, USDA-approved formula
- Recyclable and easy-to-use spray bottle packaging
- Contains alkaline ingredients that may cause eye irritation
- Towel not included
4. CLR PB-BBQ-26 Grill Cleaner – Best for BBQ grill
CLR’s PB-BBQ-26 is one of the best barbecue grill cleaners because it contains a powerful cleaning action that works on multiple surfaces such as steel, stainless steel, and porcelain enamel.
Additionally, its cleaning action entails creating a powerful foam that easily cuts through baked-on food and grease, leaving your grill’s grates looking clean and new.
To achieve this, the product is made using a water-based formula that is non-toxic and biodegradable, and this efficiently gets rid of the grease and grime, but won’t harm grass and other plants if it pours to the ground.
Other features include an easy-to-use spray bottle that is also recyclable, and a large 26-ounce quantity that is enough to clean your grill multiple times.
However, even though the solution is rated safe for kids and pets, it may cause eye irritation. Also, it does not create a protective layer on the grates as you clean.
- Works on multiple surfaces such as steel, stainless steel, and porcelain enamel
- Creates a powerful foam that cuts easily through baked-on food
- Non-toxic water-based formula
- Easy-to-use spray mechanism
- Large 26-ounce bottle
- May cause eye irritation
- Does not create a protective layer as you clean
5. Goo Gone 2045A Grill & Grate Cleaner – Best Biodegradable
This super-strength grill-and-grate gel is a biodegradable cleaning solution that is safe for the environment, and it is packed in a spray bottle that is recyclable, making it even much safer to the environment.
Other than that, the solution works on baked-on and caked-on food deposits, while also getting rid of grease and carbon, which is very common in charcoal grills.
However, you should not use the product on aluminum, faux stainless-steel or painted metal surfaces because it may cause damages. That said, you can use it other metallic cooking grates, racks, grill interiors, and exteriors and drip pans as well.
After cleaning, the gel helps to prevent corrosion and reduces flare-ups/ smoke. However, even though it is safe on food preparation surfaces, this cleaner may cause eye irritation and therefore, should be handled with care.
- A biodegradable gel that is safe for the environment
- Recyclable and easy-to-use spray bottle packaging
- Works on caked-on and baked-on food deposits, grease and carbon
- Prevents corrosion and reduces flare-ups
- Cannot be used on aluminum, faux stainless steel or painted metal surfaces
- May cause eye irritation
6. Weber W62 Grill Cleaner – Best -Non-Corrosive
Weber’s W62 grill cleaner features a non-corrosive formulation that is citrus-based, which ensures it provides a safe cleaner that is non-toxic.
This product is actually also derived from d-limonene, which is biodegradable, phosphate-free and non-flammable, making it extremely safe to use.
On the downside, no towel is included in the package and the cleaner comes in a small 8-ounce bottle. On the bright side, it is very affordable and its spray-bottle packaging can be recycled for environmental conservation.
- Non-corrosive citrus-based formulation
- Derived from d-limonene, which is biodegradable, non-flammable and non-toxic
- USDA approved; safe to use
- Recyclable spray bottle packaging
- Towel not included
- Packaged in a small 8-ounce bottle
7. Easy-Off BBQ Grill Cleaner – Good Overall
This product lives up to its name by getting rid of stubborn grease and food spills easily off the grill’s grates. It does so by using an expert formula, which begins to work immediately after making contact with the surface being cleaned.
Other features include a 16-ounce packaging and in an easy-to-use aerosol can. On the downside, the aerosol can package cannot be reused and the formulation cannot be used to clean aluminum and chrome surfaces.
- Fast-acting formulation that gets rid of stubborn grease and food spills easily
- Safe to use on all types of grills
- Easy-to-use aerosol can spray
- Non-reusable aerosol can package
- Cannot be used to clean aluminum or chrome surfaces
8. Easy-Off RAC76461 Stainless-Steel Cleaner – Best Odorless
Easy-Off is one of the most recognized brands in this grill cleaner segment and their RAC76461 cleaner does not disappoint. The product contains an odorless formula that leaves your grill simply looking clean and new without any additional smell that may affect your next barbecue.
This formula is specially designed to get rid of fingerprints, smears, and soils from stainless steel and brushed chrome, all while polishing the surface while a non-abrasive composition ensures that it does not scratch the surfaces as you clean.
The cleaner also helps the cleaned surface to resist fingerprints and watermarks so as to maintain a spotless grill, but it is only suitable to use on stainless steel and brushed chrome surfaces. Also, the product is packaged in a non-reusable 17-ounce aerosol can, but at least it is easy-to-use.
- Odorless formula
- Gets rid of fingerprints, smears, and soil
- Cleans and polishes the surface
- Helps to resist fingerprints and watermarks
- Only ideal for use in stainless steel and brushed chrome surfaces
- Packaged in a non-reusable aerosol can
9. Easy-Off Professional Oven & Grill Cleaner –Best Heavy-Duty
Another piece from Easy Off and this one is the top-rated grill cleaner in this review, primarily because it is a heavy-duty cleaner that takes on tough, baked-on food particles, grease, and food spills, leaving your grill clean in only 5 minutes.
This is made possible by an advanced grease-cutting formula that is very effective against burnt grease and grime. The formula makes it ideal for everyday spot cleaning in maintaining your ovens, broilers and of course, barbecue grills.
Another benefit you get with this heavy-duty cleaner is that it is very affordable and yet it comes in a 24-ounce aerosol can. Therefore, if you are on a tight budget, this is the best option to consider.
However, the solution only cleans the surface without polishing, and it does not come with a towel for wiping the surface as you clean.
- A heavy-duty formula that takes on baked-on food particles with ease
- Cleans in as little as 5 minutes
- Contains an advanced grease-cutting formula
- Towel not included
- Does not polish the surface
In conclusion, the best grill cleaner should first and foremost, be safe and non-toxic so that it does not leave a hazardous cooking surface, which may, in turn, pose a health risk from the food you prepare on it next time.
Another important factor to check is compatibility because some cleaners are corrosive to certain metal surfaces.
That said, all these factors are explained in detail above and after going through the grill cleaner review, you should be in a better position to pick the most suitable solution that suits your needs.
In this post:
- What to Check Before Buying Best Grill Cleaner?
- 9 Best Grill Cleaners of 2021 Reviewed
- 1. Therapy Premium Stainless-Steel Cleaner – Best Stainless-Steel
- 2. Bryson Industries SA02 – Best Citrus-Based
- 3. Weber Grill Cleaner Spray – Best Charcoal
- 4. CLR PB-BBQ-26 Grill Cleaner – Best for BBQ grill
- 5. Goo Gone 2045A Grill & Grate Cleaner – Best Biodegradable
- 6. Weber W62 Grill Cleaner – Best -Non-Corrosive
- 7. Easy-Off BBQ Grill Cleaner – Good Overall
- 8. Easy-Off RAC76461 Stainless-Steel Cleaner – Best Odorless
- 9. Easy-Off Professional Oven & Grill Cleaner –Best Heavy-Duty