Air fryers need oil to work perfectly but not all types of oil are perfect for an air fryer. The best oils for air fryers have high smoking points and there’s a reason for this.
It can get very hot inside an air fryer and different types of cooking oils have temperatures at which they start smoking and releasing bad smells.
This makes it necessary to only choose oils with high smoking points, so as not to ruin your cooking. There are some other features to consider as well, such as being GMO and gluten-free.
In this oil for air fryers review, you’ll get a list of the best oils that meet these requirements, as well as a buying guide that will show you how to make the right choice.
What To Check Before Buying Best Oil For Air Fryers?
While air fryers offer you the chance to eat delicious fried foods without the fat and oils, you’ll still have to apply about a teaspoon or more to most foods you’ll cook inside it.
The problem is that air fryers can get very hot with temperatures up to 400 °F. And that’s when the problems with many cooking oils start to arise.
You must understand these factors and know what they mean. Plus, there are other issues to consider as well, when choosing an air fryer.
They are as follows.
1. Your Cooking Needs
Before moving on with any decision-making, try to check your needs first. How important are certain flavors to you and what kind of foods do you like to cook.
This is important because some oils are better for cooking certain types of food than other oils. So, while Italian cuisine goes well with olive oil, for instance, most Asian recipes will work better with sesame oil.
Also, consider how much and how often you’ll cook because this will help you to decide on how much oil you should buy. Finally, do you need to spray the oil on the food or is simply brushing or dipping enough for you?
All these are questions that you’ll need to personally consider and find an answer to.
Read More: The Best Oil Sprayer
2. Smoking Points
As already mentioned, different cooking oils have different smoking points, which is the temperature at which the oil will start to smoke.
Most air fryers offer temperature controls from about 170 °F up to about 400 °F. This makes the perfect oil for air fryers only those with over 400 °F smoking points.
Here is a list of some of the cooking oils with the highest smoking points.
- Avocado Oil: 500 °F
- Extra-Light Olive Oil: 468 °F
- Peanut Oil: 440 °F
- Sesame Oil: 450 °F
- Coconut Oil: 449 °F
3. Oil Quality
You should also consider other aspects of oil quality asides from its smoking point. Different types of oils are prized for the different nutrients they include and this is often important to those who want a healthy lifestyle.
Normal olive oil, for instance, has a relatively low smoking point, but it’s very nutrient-rich. You can, therefore, consider using it in menus that use a low cooking temperature.
In general, you can opt for higher-quality oils, which are generally healthier and costlier. This is because you only need very little oil for each cooking session, so it doesn’t matter if it’s costly.
4. Health & Safety
One more issue with oils is safety. And unless you don’t care about your health or what goes into your system, you need to keep an eye on the oil’s origin, processing, and contents.
Things to avoid include BHT, which is a preservative, and GMOs, which health-conscious people try to avoid. Most oils will show BHT or GMO-free on their package if they are truly free of them.
Different oils have different flavors and as already stated, it’s left for you to know how and what you cook, and what best suits it. This is a personal decision.
Some types of oils are costlier than others, but with air fryers, you can always consider the costlier variety because you’ll be using very little of it each time. Keep in mind that most oils that cost more, are usually healthier.
10 Best Oil For Air Fryers of 2021 Reviewed
1. Viva Naturals (Extra Virgin Coconut Oil)
2. Chosen Foods (100% Pure Avocado Oil)
3. La Tourangelle Roasted Walnut Oil (French Style)
4. La Tourangelle Grapeseed Oil (Heart Healthy Oil)
5. La Tourangelle Avocado Oil (Premium Oil)
6. Kevala Avocado Oil (Large 1-gallon Bottle of Avocado Oil)
7. BetterBody Foods (100% Pure Avocado Oil)
8. Filippo Berio (Extra Light Olive Oil)
9. Kevala Organic Sesame Oil (Organic Sesame Oil)
10. Healthy Harvest (1 Gallon of Sunflower Oil)
1. Viva Naturals – Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Ingredients: Coconut
- Smoking Point: 350 °F
- Volume: 54 fl. oz
Coconut oil is one of the most prized natural oils in the world. It’s filled with nutrients, works well for cooking most dishes, and has an unmistakable aroma that makes it unique.
This offer comes from fresh and 100% organic coconuts. Cold-pressed to keep all of its natural goodness. It also fits into most health-conscious lifestyles, from keto to paleo and many others.
Its biggest draw-down, however, is its relatively lower smoking point of 350 °F. This means that it’s out of the question for recipes that need about 400 degrees. But if it’s lower than 350, then you’ll love using coconut oil.
Another reason it’s a top-rated oil for air fryers is that it’s so nutrient-rich that it works wonders as a beauty product as well. Coconut oil is great for skin and hair maintenance.
- Made from fresh, organic coconuts
- Comes with a rich flavor and nutrients
- Also works wonders on the skin and hair
- USDA-certified and non-GMO coconut oil
- There are cheaper oils for air fryers
- Many oils have higher smoking points
2. Chosen Foods – 100% Pure Avocado Oil
- Ingredients: Avocado pear
- Smoking Point: 500 °F
- Volume: 33 fl. oz
The coconut oil above is solid at room temperature and this means it’s probably not the best offer for strictly health-conscious people.
So, if you want the best healthy oil for air fryers, you should keep an eye for offers like this avocado oil from Chosen Foods because they contain lots of monounsaturated fats that stay liquid at room temperature.
This makes it great for cardiovascular health, just like olive oil. And then, there’s its high smoking point at 500 °F, making it the best choice for all types of air-fried dishes.
The only area this oil doesn’t shine is when it comes to price and the fact that it’s not cold-pressed. It’s however, completely natural and guaranteed GMO-free.
- High-quality and 100% avocado oil
- It comes with the highest 500°F smoking point
- The oil is mild and delicious
- From completely natural and non-GMO avocados
- It’s costly for its measure
- The oil is not cold-pressed
3. La Tourangelle Roasted Walnut Oil – French Style Air Fryer Oil
- Ingredients: Roasted walnuts
- Smoking Point: 320 °F
- Volume: 0.5, 16.9, 25.4, 128 fl. oz
La Tourangelle is a French label with a 150-year old history of oil making. This makes the company a reputable and dependable oil for air fryers maker.
With this offer, you get the oil from roasted walnuts, which is 100% natural and comes with a unique taste that sets it apart.
You can also use it for other types of cooking which can benefit from its nutty flavor. Plus, walnut has anti-aging properties that make it ideal for massages and for keeping away wrinkles from the face.
Keep in mind, however, that its nutty flavor won’t blend with certain dishes. So, you may need to use this oil only with recipes that you know it’s great with.
Another issue is its relatively low smoking point of 320 °F. This means that you can only use it with low and medium heat recipes that need less than 300°F heat.
- Cooking oil with a distinct walnut flavor
- 100% natural oil with French heritage
- Available in four sizes
- Great for many other uses such as grilling
- It has a low smoking point of just 320 °F
- The taste won’t fit many dishes
4. La Tourangelle Grapeseed Oil – Heart Healthy Air Fryer Oil
- Ingredients: Grapeseed
- Smoking Point: 420 °F
- Volume: 25.4 fl. oz
Here’s a second offer from La Tourangelle and this time, it’s grapeseed oil for air frying. Unlike the previous offer, this oil is better suited for high temperatures because it has a smoking point of 420 °F.
The second advantage of this oil is that it has 70% of the healthy polyunsaturated fats, 20% monounsaturated fats, and only 7% of unhealthy saturated fats.
For its downside, however, it lacks taste. You won’t get a unique aroma here, but you’ll get a very healthy air frying oil that can take the heat.
- High-quality grapeseed oil
- Offers a 420°F high smoke point
- Healthy oil with mostly polyunsaturated fats
- Comes at an attractive price
- It has a neutral taste
- Not a cold-pressed oil
5. La Tourangelle Avocado Oil – Best Premium Oil
- Ingredients: Avocado pears
- Smoking Point: 500 °F
- Volume: 16.9 fl. oz
Also offered from La Tourangelle, here’s a 100% natural avocado oil from a reputable maker that’s great for air frying. It has a mild taste and can withstand high heat.
La Tourangelle offers this best oil for air fryers in five container sizes, including a 30-pack of 0.5-oz sachets, 8.45 oz, 16.9 oz, 25.4 oz, and 128 oz.
Avocado oil is a healthy and delicious oil that’s great for many other uses, including salads, meat, fish, and even skincare. Its buttery flavor also makes it popular.
- Heart-healthy avocado oil
- Very high 500°F smoking point
- Works well for a variety of dishes
- Also beneficial for skincare
- It’s not cold presses
- You can get cheaper oils for air frying
6. Kevala Avocado Oil – Large 1-gallon Bottle of Avocado Oil
- Ingredients: Avocado
- Smoking Point: 500 °F
- Volume: 1 gallon
Kevala offers you a large 1-gallon plastic jug of avocado oil at a low and attractive price here. Avocado oil is great for a range of activities, including cooking, skincare, and general wellness.
When it comes to cooking, this avocado oil can withstand temperatures up to 520 °F before smoking. It’s cold-pressed and then naturally refined to perfection.
Its downsides include its rather mildness, which offers very little flavor to your dishes, and it’s also not as nutritious as coconut oil, for instance. For advantages, it comes at a very attractive price.
- Cold-pressed avocado oil
- Comes in a large 1-gallon bottle
- Kosher and non-GMO certified
- Offered at an attractive price
- Other oils are better tasting
- It doesn’t include much nutrients
7. BetterBody Foods – 100% Pure Avocado Oil
- Ingredients: Avocado
- Smoking Point: 500 °F
- Volume: 16.9 oz
Avocado oil is, without a doubt, the best cooking oil for frying. So, nearly every oil maker has an avocado oil offer that’s great for air frying.
This one comes in a 16.9-oz bottle and is from 100% non-GMO and gluten-free avocado. Like most other pure avocado oils, it has a mild taste and can work with a range of dishes or recipes.
It doesn’t have a unique flavor such as many nut oils do, however, and you can get cheaper oils for air frying elsewhere. Still, it comes in a handy bottle and is additionally kosher certified.
- Premium avocado cooking oil
- Can take the heat up to 500 °F
- Made from natural and non-GMO avocados
- Comes in a nice and compact bottle
- There are cheaper air fryer oils
- The taste isn’t exceptional
8. Filippo Berio – Extra Light Olive Oil For Air Fryers
- Ingredients: Olives
- Smoking Point: 410 to 446 °F
- Volume: 16.9 oz
Everyone knows and loves olive oil for its many advantages, but standard olive oil can’t handle much heat. Extra-light olive oil, however, can handle more heat.
This offer comes in three sizes of 16.9 fl. oz, 25.3 fl. oz, and 50.7 fl. oz. It’s rich in mono-unsaturated fats, cholesterol-free, gluten-free, trans-fat-free, and sugar-free.
Being refined, this extra light olive oil can handle higher temperatures about 410 to 446 °F before smoking, and this makes it one of the best oils for air fryers because it’s still olive oil. Filippo Berio also guarantees that it’s GMO-free.
- High-quality extra light olive oil
- Great for all kinds of air frying
- It has a high smoking point of 410 to 446 °F
- Comes with a faint olive taste
- Avocado oils have higher smoking points
- You can get cheaper air frying oils
9. Kevala Organic Sesame Oil –Best Organic Oil
- Ingredients: Sesame seeds
- Smoking Point: 449 °F
- Volume: 1/2 gallon, 8 oz
Kevala makes a range of sesame oils including the toasted and this extra virgin version. This offer is for 1/2 gallon of its organic extra-virgin oil.
It’s gluten-free, kosher, non-GMO, and USDA-certified organic. It also comes with a healthy mix of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats.
While it’s costlier than some other oils, such as avocado oils, sesame oil has a nutty flavor, which can work wonders for certain recipes. It also includes vitamins K and E.
- Organic sesame oil for air frying
- Comes in 8-oz and 1/2-gallon containers
- Cold-pressed, unrefined, and non-GMO certified
- Kevala also offers a darker toasted version
- It’s costlier than Kevala’s previous avocado oil
- Some oils have higher smoking points
10. Healthy Harvest – 1 Gallon of Sunflower Oil for Air Fryers
- Ingredients: Sunflower seeds
- Smoking Point: 450 °F
- Volume: 1 gallon
Sunflower oil is also healthy and good for air frying. Another nice feature is that it’s cheaper than all the other oils on this list. So, if you’re on a budget, then check this out.
It can also work as one of the best air fryer oil sprays. Plus, it has a long shelf life and is an affordable alternative for people who need to keep their cholesterol in check.
You get Omega-3 fatty acids with sunflower oil and vitamin E as well. It’s however, not as great tasting as olive oil. But it’s offered at such a relatively low price that makes it an irresistible offer.
- Offer for 1 gallon of sunflower oil
- Smoking point is 450 °F
- Cheapest air-fryer oil in this review
- Natural and non-GMO cooking oil
- There are better tasting oils
- It’s not cold-pressed
We’ve come to the end of this oil for air fryers review, and you’ve seen all the different oils out there. From cheap sesame oils to high smoking-point avocado oils and premium roasted walnut oil, there is simply an air fryer oil for everyone.
However, none of these oils is simply the best because we are all different and have different needs. So, you’ll need to choose what works best for you.
- The 10 Best and Worst Oils for Your Health – Time
- The Best Oils for Cooking, and Which to Avoid – Basically
In this post:
- What To Check Before Buying Best Oil For Air Fryers?
- 10 Best Oil For Air Fryers of 2021 Reviewed
- 1. Viva Naturals – Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 2. Chosen Foods – 100% Pure Avocado Oil
- 3. La Tourangelle Roasted Walnut Oil – French Style Air Fryer Oil
- 4. La Tourangelle Grapeseed Oil – Heart Healthy Air Fryer Oil
- 5. La Tourangelle Avocado Oil – Best Premium Oil
- 6. Kevala Avocado Oil – Large 1-gallon Bottle of Avocado Oil
- 7. BetterBody Foods – 100% Pure Avocado Oil
- 8. Filippo Berio – Extra Light Olive Oil For Air Fryers
- 9. Kevala Organic Sesame Oil –Best Organic Oil
- 10. Healthy Harvest – 1 Gallon of Sunflower Oil for Air Fryers