What We Like
- Triple wall insulation
- Two dampers for temperature control
- Solid 22-gauge steel construction
- Convenient carrying handles and a lift handle
- Built-in temperature gauge
What We Don’t Like
- Small cooking surface (153 square inches)
- No accessories
If you are searching for an efficient heat holding and easily controllable charcoal kamado grill, be sure to check out Char-Griller’s E06614.
Most charcoal grills tend to lose a lot of heat and thus, waste a lot of fuel in the process. However, Char-Griller’s E06614 is quite different due to its insulated design, which holds in the heat.
Additionally, the unit has two adjustable dampers that enable you to easily control the temperature inside. The grill has much more to offer and this is explained in detail below.
Char-Griller E06614 Review
Performance: Low Fuel Consumption
Contrary to other charcoal-fueled grill types that consume a lot of fuel, this model requires significantly less charcoal to get your food ready. This is because it is triple-walled and the walls act as insulation layers that hold in the heat like ceramic.
As a result, the grill prevents heat loss and with very little charcoal, you can easily maintain temperatures from 200-700ºF.
That said, the grill is equipped with circular cast-iron cooking grates that are 14 inches in diameter and have a total cooking surface area of 153 square inches.
The manufacturer states that this surface can hold up to 8 burgers while the grates keep flare-ups low to prevent burning.
Design: Heavy Duty Construction
Char-Griller’s E06614 is characterized by a heavy-duty design that is built using 22-gauge steel in the lid, base, and ash pan. These parts are powder coated on the outside and this gives a rugged outer finish that is rustproof and can withstand the elements.
On the inside, the steel surface is coated using porcelain, which provides a rustproof layer. This design ensures the whole metal surface is protected for long-lasting use.
Setup Process: Easy to Set up
Even though this charcoal kamado grill comes while fully dismantled, it is very easy to set up. The process is very intuitive because the pieces easily fit into each other and require few bolts to tie each section into place.
Additionally, an owner’s manual is included in the pack and this contains detailed step-by-step assembly instructions with images showing the different parts, how to join them and which bolts to use.
Cleaning: Easy-Dump Ash Pan
Charcoal ash can be very messy because it contains very fine particles. To ease the cleaning process, Char-Griller’s E06614 contains a removable ash pan that has hangers for mounting it to the grill’s base.
This collects all the ash and small unburnt pieces of charcoal for easy and mess-free disposal.
Other than that, the inner surface of the grill is coated using porcelain, which provides a smooth non-stick surface that is very easy to wipe clean.
Portability: Compact with Carrying Handles
This product is very compact because it measures 20 x 20 x 25 inches when fully assembled and with the lid closed.
On top of that, it weighs only 40 lbs. and this makes it petite enough to be easily transported. Furthermore, it has side carrying handles while short, sturdy legs ensure it remains stable on uneven surfaces.
However, even though it’s small, the unit has most of the features that are associated with larger grills, and therefore, it is recommended for tailgating, camping, or cooking burgers when going out to the park.
Heating and Cooling: Top and Bottom Dampers
The temperature inside this grill is controlled by the use of adjustable dampers, where one is placed at the bottom to control airflow into the charcoal while the top one regulates airflow out of the cooking area.
When fully open, these two dampers allow maximum airflow, which makes the charcoal burn hotter to increase the temperature and the vice versa is true. Closing the top damper helps in preventing smoke from escaping and this adds one more flavor to the food.
Both dampers have 5 opening levels and this setup gives you some form of precision in the following way:
- With the top damper fully closed and the bottom damper 2/5 open, heat output is about 200-225ºF and this is ideal for smoking.
- With both the top and bottom dampers 1/5 open, heat output is about 300ºF and this is ideal for preparing burgers, ribs, and chicken tenders.
- With the top damper 1/5 open and the bottom damper 2/5 open, heat output is about 325ºF and this is ideal for roasting poultry and turkey breast.
- With the top damper fully closed and the bottom damper 3/5 open, heat output is about 350ºF and this is ideal for roasting beef and pork.
- With the top damper fully open and the bottom damper 4/5 open, heat output exceeds 450ºF and this is ideal for searing steaks.
To help you monitor and maintain the temperature at the required level, a temperature gauge is built into the lid and it shows the reading in both ºC and ºF.
Accessories: Extras at an Extra Cost
With this charcoal kamado grill, no accessories are included in the pack. However, there are various accessories that you can buy at an extra cost to enhance your grilling experience.
For instance, you can get a smoking/pizza stone, which deflects heat around the perimeter of the grill, enabling you to bake bread and cookies or prepare pizza.
Price: Worth its Price
The E06614 is not the cheapest charcoal grill in the market but its kamado design makes it worthy of its price because it doubles up as a smoker.
However, the E16620 has a significantly large cooking area plus a wheeled stand while the E6520 is mounted on a cart with two wheels on one end.
A fuel-efficient charcoal kamado grill/smoker that is ideal for tailgating, camping, and other outdoor events.
With its triple wall design, Char-Griller’s E06614 prevents heat loss to make it highly fuel-efficient while its kamado design with two adjustable dampers makes it suitable for smoking and grilling.
Additionally, the unit is compact and relatively lightweight, which makes it the perfect choice to carry in your truck for tailgating or any other outdoor event.
- Product Name: Char-Griller E06614
- Product Brand: Char-Griller
- Fuel Type: Charcoal
- Primary Cooking Area: 153 square inches
- Material: Powder-coated 22-gauge steel
- Product Dimensions: 20 x 20 x 25 inches
- Weight: 40 lbs.
- Warranty: 5 years (hood and bottom), 1 year (ash pan and defective parts)
- Triple wall insulation for heat holding.
- Adjustable top and bottom dampers.
- Durable powder-coated 22-gauge steel construction.
- Easy dump ash pan.
- Stainless heat gauge.
- Two side handles and an insulated lid handle.
- Short sturdy legs for steady use.
- Kamado style design for intense smoke flavoring.
- Hinged locking lid.